What is it with all the new users PM'ing to buy stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont see the big issue here

tell them to pay with money order or get lost.

Money orders are sometimes not as simple as they sound.

Firstly -- Western Union Money Orders can be faked, and faked good. See Craigslist -- what I've heard is that they're good enough forgeries to fool the bank; you find out that it was fake when Western Union calls you and yanks your money back, two weeks later.

Secondly -- USPS Money Orders, secure though they are, are a significant pain for some of us. I have to take public transit, which (because they're a rural transit authority, overworked and underfunded) can easily take multiple hours, and costs me $4. I've got the time, since I'm unemployed, but it is a hassle. I know that there's one other person on here, a fairly prominent trader actually, who has to /walk/ about a mile and a quarter (each way!) to get to his local post office.

No, I'm not using Green Dot Money Orders from Wal*Mart either -- costs the same in transit fees, takes the same amount of time to cash, and (although I'm not sure) there's probably a fee to cash it, too. Besides, Wal*Mart gets enough of my money as it is.

how are you guys having problems here? Ive been trading here FOREVER even before this screen name when 2500+ bartons were king of the hill. Ive never had a single problem getting paid, or getting a part. call me lucky but it seems you are pretty protected if they pay paypal...

I am a low post buyer but it's only because I came to HF just to pick up some stuff I needed occasionally and to check out the deals section... Have tons of eBay feedback so that's what I usually show and it always works out. (and also yes, because I am from OCN)

A while back I listed a heatsink on craigslist for $50. I completely forgot about it until like two months later someone sent me an email about it. He also created an OCN account so that he could send me PMs there too (I had listed my [H] and OCN name on my photos). I wasn't interested in shipping it, but the guy wanted it so badly that he agreed to pay double my asking price plus $20 for shipping and send me USPS money order before I shipped the heat sink. So yeah, sometimes new users are legit, though most of them aren't that intent on buying your stuff.

Anyway, cool story bro for me.

Guess I'm one of those guys too - been here since late '09, but mostly just lurking around. Most of the time I could get my questions asked by searching, so I haven't posted much. I just made a purchase here the other week from a member via PM - it went off flawlessly. The seller left me good heat, so I'm guessing he was happy too. That's my only heatware, so far - I've got a flawless ebay account (buyer and seller) dating back to 2001, but as folks have said, that doesn't seem to carry the weight it used to. Oh well, we've all got to start somewhere.

I was thinking that lately, with as side-effect of my spate of server-related electrical questions, I was moving on along to being legit. Seems I've got a lot farther to go now. C'est la vie - if that's the worst that happens to me today, I shall count myself lucky.

-Tuthmose

10 years is a long stretch to just get 50 post. 2 posts a year is crazy. It isn't actually that hard to get the 100 post now. As long as you post and try to help. I just try to stay out of the AMD vs Intel and ATI vs Nvidia hate threads. Gets pretty crazy in there.

But a great way to increase one's post count! Mantle accelerated NO U is the next big thing.

It took me a couple of years to get to the 50 post count, just because of my particular interests and waxing/waning desire to participate. I didn't actually join for the FS/FT stuff, but might give that a try in the future if I need anything. No heatware and not super active here, so I'm fine if someone is cautious and doesn't want to deal with me. I'll jump through a few hoops for the seller's sake, but in the end it's just stuff.

Slow and steady is a good thing. I just stop buy and look through the stuff. If something catches my attention. Then I will go have a read and post. sometimes they have some great stuff for cheap prices in here for sale. Most of the time I miss them though.

Then all you can do is say; I would have bought that. I wonder what it went for."

Mainly try to be easy going and get along with everyone. But I do like voicing my opinion sometimes in here. But mostly enjoy the threads with all the back and forth between folks arguing about stuff. The ones that are wrong and showed they are wrong. But still believe they are right no matter what. Those are great.

But a great way to increase one's post count! Mantle accelerated NO U is the next big thing.

It took me a couple of years to get to the 50 post count, just because of my particular interests and waxing/waning desire to participate. I didn't actually join for the FS/FT stuff, but might give that a try in the future if I need anything. No heatware and not super active here, so I'm fine if someone is cautious and doesn't want to deal with me. I'll jump through a few hoops for the seller's sake, but in the end it's just stuff.

I'm a low post count guy too.

Been here for awhile and most of the time I just directly PM for the FS/FT stuff because I think it's a bit quicker to get a response. As for scammers, I've had one instance recently, but that was just my own fault in not checking for feedback. While it was a low post count person, I've also had plenty of positive deals done with people with low post count, so I don't think that it should necessarily be a determinant of credibility.

I totally missed the 50 post requirement for buying stuff here... I was buying stuff from people for a while with under 50 posts. Always worked out well though, but I've got plenty of feedback from ebay and other forums. Working on getting my post count up to 100 so I can start selling too.

Yo, I should probably make a new post maybe, but I am getting a new message saying I need 100 posts? I am a nub when it comes to computers, so I mostly glean what I can from sites like this one. When did this change?

I didn't go through this thread, but i can say that its not easy to come up with 100 posts quickly that aren't spammy. I messaged a mod about lifting the ability to buy sell ( i have 75ish posts) because i good heatware, they could not. I personally think 100 posts is a little extreme, i fell like the heatware speaks for its self, and the post count should be changed to 30 or some combination of posts, heat & possibly a limit on how expensive an item you can sell until you have proven your self. Its annoying to me i have 100s of items to sell but i cant list them here because i dont post enough...

I totally missed the 50 post requirement for buying stuff here... I was buying stuff from people for a while with under 50 posts. Always worked out well though, but I've got plenty of feedback from ebay and other forums. Working on getting my post count up to 100 so I can start selling too.

this as well, i have bought 4-5 items, and even sold 1 or 2 until i realized there was a rule that were not supposed to.

LOL. I remember learning tiny amounts of QBASIC on a 386 :p that was 1995... system was 3 years old, and Mom had just bought a Packtard Bell (the extra "t" is there for a reason!) with a 75MHz Pentium and a just-slightly-larger-than-1gb HDD... that thing was a POS but the 386 was rock solid (if a bit anemic).

I still have that 386 and (three complete rebuilds later) it works, too -- although it likes to chew through ISA IDE controllers (and sometimes HDDs) much faster than I'd like...

That was far from my first, but it was my most memorable since I worked all summer to afford those upgrades! I've used a few 286/386's as well but my VERY first was a TI-99/4A!

Getting to 100 posts is not that hard. It's even easier if you have a GenMay subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back