What Driver for Opteron 165?

RobDMB

Weaksauce
I noticed on amd's website there is aboth an athlon x2 driver and a seperate opteron driver. I was wondering which driver was applicable for the dual core opterons. I know common sense would say the opteron driver but I just wanted to make sure this wasnt for socket 940 opterons or anything like that. -Rob

1) Are you overclocking (with an OpterOWN, I hope to holy hell that you are! :D )?
2) Do you use F@H, UD, or some other 'folding' DC project program?

If you answer yes to either, I'd would say you should stay AWAY from the 'drivers' - they seem to be the "Cool 'n Quiet" drivers..Only useful really if you NEVER fold or o/c (IMO)....Besides, I've heard the drivers can wreak havoc on an o/c system. Personally, once the rest of my stuff gets here, those aren't touching my system - maybe the "affinity" fix download, what/where-ever it is..Assuming my system needs it - no sense in using it if the PC runs fine as is right?

kush said:
1) Are you overclocking (with an OpterOWN, I hope to holy hell that you are! :D )?
2) Do you use F@H, UD, or some other 'folding' DC project program?

If you answer yes to either, I'd would say you should stay AWAY from the 'drivers' - they seem to be the "Cool 'n Quiet" drivers..Only useful really if you NEVER fold or o/c (IMO)....Besides, I've heard the drivers can wreak havoc on an o/c system. Personally, once the rest of my stuff gets here, those aren't touching my system - maybe the "affinity" fix download, what/where-ever it is..Assuming my system needs it - no sense in using it if the PC runs fine as is right?

What are you talking about? CnQ is only turned on when you select the Laptop/portable power scheme. Anyways, I have 2 instances of F@H running on my opteron 165 (with opteron drivers from AMD) and CnQ enabled, although the chip is running at full speed. When I come home and want to encoded a DVD, I just pause them.

I leave it on bc in Texas, it is 80 now so my room gets really hot with no AC, I like to have it a little cooler when not folding.

fuelvolts said:
What are you talking about? CnQ is only turned on when you select the Laptop/portable power scheme. Anyways, I have 2 instances of F@H running on my opteron 165 (with opteron drivers from AMD) and CnQ enabled, although the chip is running at full speed. When I come home and want to encoded a DVD, I just pause them.

I leave it on bc in Texas, it is 80 now so my room gets really hot with no AC, I like to have it a little cooler when not folding.
Actually CnQ is set ot on by default on most motherboards.

I personally leave it disabled and DON'T run the driver on either of my dual cores and they run perfect and game perfect.

In fact the one time I DID try using the driver and CnQ on my 165 it made my system glitchy.

Back