What does XP professional have that normal doesn't?

Nerkanistic

Weaksauce
I was going to get a labtop soon, and there was a featuer that enabled me to upgrade to professional for 50 dollars more. What does professional have that normal xp version doesn't, in all categories such as performance, interface, features, etc. Thanks!

Laptop*.

This has been asked many times-- use the search function.

Simple answer for you: Networking & Security extras.

-J.

Nerkanistic said:
I was going to get a labtop soon, and there was a featuer that enabled me to upgrade to professional for 50 dollars more. What does professional have that normal xp version doesn't, in all categories such as performance, interface, features, etc. Thanks!

None besides features...

Features that a normal user may benefit from is RDC, while poeple can connect to a home machine runing RDC, Home users can not connect to any.

For domain users, home users can not join a domain without third party help, and thus are not able to run group policy and centralized administration programs that you find in business environments.

Multi-Processor support, Home supports Hyper Threading, but not two processors. Which should not be an issue for a laptop.

UltimaParadox said:
Features that a normal user may benefit from is RDC, while poeple can connect to a home machine runing RDC, Home users can not connect to any.

Right and wrong. XP Home cannot be a HOST for a Remote Desktop connection but can connected to a XP Pro that has a Remote connection setup. MS released a Remote desktop connection client for 2000 and XP Home downloadable free from their site.

The_Mage18 said:
Right and wrong. XP Home cannot be a HOST for a Remote Desktop connection but can connected to a XP Pro that has a Remote connection setup. MS released a Remote desktop connection client for 2000 and XP Home downloadable free from their site.

Ah thanks got it backwards

I find it amusing that you call them normal and professional, when in fact when they made XP, they made pro, then they took out stuff to make home. oh well. lol

I Use pro because Windows XP Professional sounds so much better than XP home Edition

:) Think im joking? :p

USMC2Hard4U said:
I Use pro because Windows XP Professional sounds so much better than XP home Edition

Not really, since that is probablly true for a majority around here :p

USMC2Hard4U said:

that's what i did at first, but then i found the RDC on Pro so now i'm not using pro for the Coolness but for the RDC and other networking features :D ;)

mewannafastpc said:
that's what i did at first, but then i found the RDC on Pro so now i'm not using pro for the Coolness but for the RDC and other networking features :D ;)

You can download the RDC client for home now as well

RDP functionality can be replaced with 3rd party tools such as VNC.

95% of people can run home and not notice any functionality loss. The biggest "gotta have" things are domain access, multiple CPU support, EFS, and maybe the MUI add-on. You either gotta have these things, or not. So you either need Pro or not.

Back