What do you do with your pump?

supz

Limp Gawd
So I've been trying to come up with a solution to this problem I've had, ever since I water cooled my PC, over a year ago.

I've got a Hydor L30 that really doesn't like to sit flat, on the bottom of the case, and vibrates enough that if I don't put something underneath it, it will shake the case to death.

I've been using ghetto solution after ghetto solution, trying to come up with something good to just mount the pump somewhere, so it won't make noise, and will be out of the way. I've tried using cable ties, to force it down against the bottom of the case, I've tried puttin foam underneath it, sponges, etc. All of these suck for one reason or another (still noisy, bulky and obtrusive, etc.)

What kind of elegant solutions have you guys come up with, or have you been able to improve or get any of the things I've tried, to work? Pictures are a plus!

I look forward to hearing your ideas :D

Order a free sample/information packet from PosturePedic- you know, those cheesy commercials on late-nite tv that tout the development of their mattress material by NASA. I sit my pump on the free sample, it sinks in enough to keep it from falling over and dampens the vibrations pretty well.

zer0signal667 said:
Order a free sample/information packet from PosturePedic- you know, those cheesy commercials on late-nite tv that tout the development of their mattress material by NASA. I sit my pump on the free sample, it sinks in enough to keep it from falling over and dampens the vibrations pretty well.

Interesting solution.

Do you have the pump mounted to the bottom of the case? I was worried about mine vibrating as well but I plan to just drill some mounting holes and but some rubber spacers in between the case and bottom of the pump mounts... Haven't installed it yet but I think it will do the trick..

I use these Vibration Damping Mounts which made my Eheim 1250 completely silent in a non getto way:

pict0164.jpg

Available at McMaster-Carr, reference 9376K111

CD :)

I have a swift mcp 600. Man this is a nice pump I am very pleased with it. It feels like a good solid piece of equipment. It comes with a 1/2" thick adhesive pad on the bottom. It has little if any vibration at all. Even with the adhesive wearing out it still seems to work great. That said perhaps the solution to your problem would be to get a piece of neoprence of rubber and adhere it to the bottom of your pump. Then adhere that to your case. You might try using a good double sided tape to get it to stay. It also helps to have semi-flexible tubing that allows your pump to sit flat without forcing it in one direction or another.

stumpy said:
Interesting solution.

Do you have the pump mounted to the bottom of the case? I was worried about mine vibrating as well but I plan to just drill some mounting holes and but some rubber spacers in between the case and bottom of the pump mounts... Haven't installed it yet but I think it will do the trick..

No, it's not mounted, just resting on the foam. The tubing arrangement keeps it in place pretty firmly though.

Turbokeu said:
I use these Vibration Damping Mounts which made my Eheim 1250 completely silent in a non getto way:

(Image snipped by mustang_steve so to not take up more room than needed)

Available at McMaster-Carr, reference 9376K111

CD :)

This needs to be stuck up in the watercooling links thread....well if there's still one somewhere in this board. That has to be the single best thing you can do on your W/C setup if you have a pump vibration issue.

yeah ihave a piece of 1/2" foam pad under my pump, have the same pump as you, and i have no problems with it, its QUITE quiet, much better then my old via aqua 1300, are you sure you never ran the pump dry? have you taken it apart to check the impeller? My via aqua was a little messed up, magnet falling apart, and our pond pump even though it was steel, it still got worn ( and it just sits in a pond...)

if its really that bad, your pump could be bad(impeller is bad) good luck finding something!!

-Matt

I used some sort of door and window winterizing stip I found at Lowes. It is adhesive one one side and make my eheim 1250 pretty quiet. It just sits on it, not bolted to anything.

go to the makeup section of wal-mart or like a drug store ask for makeup remover foam pads

thats what i'm using to keep the noise/vibration down on my vantec tornado

its like the posturepedic foam someone mentioned

I use a large velcro adhesive pad to attach the pump to the case floor, it doesnt vibrate at all and is silent

I am amazed at how many different sources for foam padding have already been mentioned in this thread :)

Mcseiam said:
I use a large velcro adhesive pad to attach the pump to the case floor, it doesnt vibrate at all and is silent

I am amazed at how many different sources for foam padding have already been mentioned in this thread :)

we are a creative bunch...and we do love our foam :D

ps: i <3 foam

my L20 sits not exactly flat but i dont have any vibration problems with it at all.

My MCP600 is wedged into the corner of my case, so it needs padding on two sides. It comes with a nice sticky pad on one side, but the other side is bare metal. I had some extra adhesive-backed noise-dampening foam lying around, so I stacked a few on top of each other and stuck it on. Works great!

I havent read every post but I recommend foam. My stepdad recieves foam from his company which pads the stuff they ship to him. I was using it to fill in the gaps on my AC unit one day and I took about a half inch thick piece of foam and layed it under my pump. The thing is DEAD scilent. It dosn't vibrate at all anymore. Not one bit. I'm VERY VERY picky on sound and disturbances that are coming from my machine. If I didn't have my two 120mm fans on top (they're on very low speeds but still) I would prolly not hear the computer at all accept the hard drive whining a little. I swear to you..I can't tell you enough.. this little piece of foam is amazing. I had my brother come in my room and I'm like "you hear that?" He was like "no." and then I was like "my computers on" ( I turned of my 120mm's real quick) ..he was like "WTF?!" lol.

Ok I think I went pretty hardcore about that but ...my computer was mad loud and annoying w/o that foam and my fan controller for my 120's about a month ago..and now im basking in peace. :cool:

The easy way is to HANG-IT DUDE. all U need is some cable ties that U can get just any where, get lots of different lenght, colors cheap......and some imagination...have fun dude!

Sorbothane sheets from Mcmaster do great for vibration isolation.

My Maxijet 1200 came with a 3 suction cup mount. What I did was run a screw through the center of each suction cup into the bottom of the case. The screws are long enough so that the cups are not all the way comperssed. The cups attach to the mount bracket by grommets that are part of the cup. This holds the pump firmly in place and it makes no noise.

zer0signal667 said:

this is exactly what I did :)
but i used velcro to mount it
PDRM0302a.JPG

Back