What do I need for a 10Gb E set up?

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
I am getting this switch and what else do I need to buy?

Switch
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KVF7...TF8&colid=2EKNW43BVT70W&coliid=I2NLHBGWS21DIL

Do I need these? I get confused on the cables and cards and how this all works in PCIe and such. Thanks...I still won't get this until its in my face and i can see how this all connects

What do I do with these?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009L5Y...TF8&colid=2EKNW43BVT70W&coliid=I1AXFN7B7MF5NI

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00U8Q7...TF8&colid=2EKNW43BVT70W&coliid=I3CM44QBIQO5PR

I need to finally buy all the parts today or ASAP :D

I need enough to connect my server and my desktop so 2 cards, 2 cables, 2 fiber adapters?...i have no clue haha

If it's just the desktop and server that need 10G between each other then why have a switch? Desktop and server have normal 1G NICs connected to network, add 10G direct connection between them, so 2 active NICs on each. This makes networking slightly more complicated but still works fine.

If either need to simultaneously exchange data with multiple other devices @1G speeds then do the switch. Unless you just want to buy the $250 switch to play around with.

NAS is file server, owncloud, plex, back ups and more so it needs 10Gb E to whole network...just through in desktop because it has 2 ports.

What do I need though for Server and desktop...what are the cards I need and stuff. That is what I do not get and the cables.

You need network interface cards for your server and desktop that are capable of 10G via SFP+. My suggestion is two Intel X520 cards ($75 each or so on eBay). If your boxes are less than 3M from the switch you can use passive 10G twinax cables to connect the NIC's to the switch.

If the cable run is more than 3M you will need to use optics like the ones you pictured along with a fiber optic cable. Make sure you are buying compatible optics as they are not plug and play. Buy OM3 fiber.

I just did this as a project so let me know if you need a parts list. Also, just to be sure, you understand that the only ports on that switch that will transfer at 10G are the two SFP+ ones.

You need network interface cards for your server and desktop that are capable of 10G via SFP+. My suggestion is two Intel X520 cards ($75 each or so on eBay). If your boxes are less than 3M from the switch you can use passive 10G twinax cables to connect the NIC's to the switch.

If the cable run is more than 3M you will need to use optics like the ones you pictured along with a fiber optic cable. Make sure you are buying compatible optics as they are not plug and play. Buy OM3 fiber.

I just did this as a project so let me know if you need a parts list. Also, just to be sure, you understand that the only ports on that switch that will transfer at 10G are the two SFP+ ones.
yea 10Gb E for those 2 ports but the server wont get saturated even with 5x1Gb E devives accessing it which is what I want.

3 streaming devices, 2 PCs backing up equals network SOL :D Plus I could see much more than that happening at once in rare cases.

Thanks for the help. I will definitely be asking for it.

For a small setup, I'd skip SFP connectors and just get some Intel X540-T2 cards and run 10Gig-e over copper. You can use plain cheap cat5 up to 50ft, and cat6 at easily double that.

The X540 cards are cheap too.

For a small setup, I'd skip SFP connectors and just get some Intel X540-T2 cards and run 10Gig-e over copper. You can use plain cheap cat5 up to 50ft, and cat6 at easily double that.

The X540 cards are cheap too.

can you elaborate? I knoww very little about this and 50 feet is probably what I need to do.

I did it for least than $100 (with shipping to Brazil !)

2x Mellanox ConnectX-2 with a DAC 1.5m cable.

Perfect 10Gb for my storage needs, also that sweet latency.

Also, i will in the near future buy 2 QSFP for 56Gb :D

can you elaborate? I knoww very little about this and 50 feet is probably what I need to do.
It's just a standard network card, using standard RJ45 connectors... It does have a slight price premium on it compared to gig-e cards...obviously.

yea 10Gb E for those 2 ports but the server wont get saturated even with 5x1Gb E devives accessing it which is what I want.

3 streaming devices, 2 PCs backing up equals network SOL :D Plus I could see much more than that happening at once in rare cases.

Thanks for the help. I will definitely be asking for it.

For Network Interface Cards I would look for Intel X520-DA1 cards on eBay (these are one port SFP+ cards, so are a little cheaper and use slightly less energy than the two port DA2 cards) either one works fine.

If you can use cables that are less than 3 meters go with something like this:

Arista Networks CAB-SFP-SFP-3M 10G SFP+ DAC Twinax Cable | FS.COM What you are looking for is a 10G SFP+ to SFP+ passive direct attach cable (twinax)

If you have to go beyond 3 meters each connection will require two transceivers and one fiber optic cable (the transceivers have to go on each end of the fiber optic cable and plug into the SFP+ port)

1. The generic version of this transceiver 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM works with my intel cards and a microtik 8 port switch

2. You want OM3 multi-mode duplex fiber with LC to LC connectors like this 10M LC UPC to LC UPC 10G 50/125 OM3 Duplex Multimode Armored Fiber Optic Patch Cable - 3.0mm PVC Jacket | FS.COM

In response to other traffic in this thread: Acquacow is talking about 10G over RJ45 which is a competing 10G standard. It wont work with the switch you specified in your post.

Yeah, you can get two x520s, and use an SFP and fiber.

I'd still just get two 540s and use normal networking cable and eliminate the switch entirely.

I should note, the 540s get rather hot in a desktop system w/o a lot of airflow, look into getting the Dell version of the card, as that comes with a fan on the heatsink... that is much better for a desktop environment.

Without airflow and w/o the fan on the heatsink, the card will take itself offline and you won't be able to send/receive any data.

Yeah, you can get two x520s, and use an SFP and fiber.

I'd still just get two 540s and use normal networking cable and eliminate the switch entirely.

I should note, the 540s get rather hot in a desktop system w/o a lot of airflow, look into getting the Dell version of the card, as that comes with a fan on the heatsink... that is much better for a desktop environment.

Without airflow and w/o the fan on the heatsink, the card will take itself offline and you won't be able to send/receive any data.
as i said i need the server to reliably service everyone without bottle necking.

So where do I get the x520s and how much is a fair price? I know these parts are the ones where you can get them super cheap through various channels. I need those 4x transmitters still right?

as i said i need the server to reliably service everyone without bottle necking.

So where do I get the x520s and how much is a fair price? I know these parts are the ones where you can get them super cheap through various channels. I need those 4x transmitters still right?
If you grab them on ebay, they will likely come from china and take a week or two, but you might save a dollar or two.

Personally, I'd grab them for $100 shipped via amazon prime and call it a day.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back