What do I do here?

Mr34727

Supreme [H]ardness
Edit: PP Claim started

Looking for some opinions on what I do next in this transaction. Bought a Surface Pro 3 on here, described as "perfect condition" in the ad. When I received it, it was not in perfect condition. I reached out to the seller to try to rectify, and have not received a response. I did pay with standard Paypal, so I have buyer protection if I need to go that route. I've omitted the email and physical addresses from our conversations, as well as the seller's handle- all else is exact duplicate (sorry for copy/paste formatting). Any opinions are appreciated guys!

1. Mar 12, 2018
    Mr34727 2[H]4U
    Hey do you have a min-DP->HDMI cable that you can include with it? Can you take crypto? Thanks, Max

2. Mar 12, 2018

Don’t have that cable. And I usually just take PayPal. I’m pretty old school.

3. Mar 12, 2018
    Mr347272[H]4U
    I can do that. Whats your pp? Thanks, Max

4. Mar 12, 2018

[email deleted]

5. Mar 12, 2018
    Mr347272[H]4U
    Sent!

[addy deleted]

Thanks, Max

6. Mar 12, 2018

Alright got it. I’ll get it shipped out tomorrow.

7. Mar 13, 2018

8. Mar 18, 2018
    Mr347272[H]4U
    Hey, just got back into town and checked out the package. I really appreciate the fast shipping, but the Surface isn't what was in the ad- this is a Surface 3 not 4, and its in much rougher condition than the "perfect" described. There are scars in the metal where it looks like the screen was replaced at on point, along with dings on the edge of the chassis.

Let me know if maybe I got the wrong package or what you want to do. Thanks, Max

9. Mar 19, 2018

64gb i3 surface pro 3 with new pro 4 type cover

Is what was posted and the screen was never replaced . The surface pro 4 type cover is brand new also .

10. Mar 19, 2018
    Mr347272[H]4U
    Here is the unit and the condition. The hinge is also loose at the bottom.
    https://imgur.com/a/L0GIl

My misread on the title- I see the 3 indication now.

Thanks, Max

11. Friday at 1:53 PM
    Mr347272[H]4U
    Please let me know what you want to do here, I am not willing to gift the unit in this condition. Thanks, Max

12. Friday at 3:25 PM

Honestly I never noticed the hinge being loose when I used it and it always worked as intended .

13. Friday at 5:34 PM
    Mr347272[H]4U
    You sold this to me as perfect condition and it clearly is not. Please let me know what address you'd like it returned to. Thanks, Max

14. Sunday at 11:08 AM
    Mr347272[H]4U
    You've been online multiple times since my last message- how should I interpret the lack of response? Thanks, Max

Last edited:
Get that PP Buyer Protection kicked in and ship the junk back. You tried to communicate to the seller and he's brushing you off. To hell with him. Unless he's had a family emergency that's prevented him to reply back, get your refund and ship the junk back to him.

End of story.

That's what I was thinking- wanted to give enough chance to respond without going the 'official' route. Since he's been on, it looks like it isn't a family emergency or anything like that

Cool, just opened up a case with Paypal, will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the input guys

Well, very quickly he responded to the Paypal case, escalated it to a claim for a PP decision and said its not his problem.

• 3/28/2018 16:49 PDT - Seller: I’ve Been ripped off in the past by buyers who purchase items only to return junk to me. The item was as described its a used device with a brand new type cover from Microsoft and I have the receipt to prove it was new as of valentines weekend. He is either trying to send me a device he damaged back or simply doesn’t want it. Either way it’s not my problem. I guarantee you one thing if I get ripped off for $350 I’m done with PayPal.
  • 3/28/2018 16:44 PDT - Seller: The surface is in perfect condition or was when I sent it to him. I still have the receipt and Microsoft store bag for the brand new type cover that he is claiming is worn I can take pictures of the receipt if needed. This is a case of buyers remorse and if he does not want or need the device he can easily sell it.
  • 3/28/2018 16:25 PDT - Buyer: I purchased the Surface in "perfect condition" with new type cover. What I received was a very worn surface with multiple dings and scars in the chassis, and a used type cover. I have attempted to contact the seller outside of Paypal before initiating this dispute, however have not received any response. Thank you

"Perfect" condition to me means it looks like I just unboxed it for the first time. If it's not in PERFECT condition, you better mention "has usual scratches from X years of daily use" and also include pictures of any other damage, even if it's small dents or gouges on the corner. It's important to know about that stuff especially if it looks like a phone/tablet was dropped or something.

The seller sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder - immediately escalating to paypal, saying he's gotten ripped off in the past, threatening to be "done with paypal". Ugh. Have encountered that type before. I'd just let paypal handle it. Take pictures of the damage on the unit and post them in the paypal case alongside the seller's "perfect" description if you have to.

"Perfect" condition to me means it looks like I just unboxed it for the first time. If it's not in PERFECT condition, you better mention "has usual scratches from X years of daily use" and also include pictures of any other damage, even if it's small dents or gouges on the corner. It's important to know about that stuff especially if it looks like a phone/tablet was dropped or something.

The seller sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder - immediately escalating to paypal, saying he's gotten ripped off in the past, threatening to be "done with paypal". Ugh. Have encountered that type before. I'd just let paypal handle it. Take pictures of the damage on the unit and post them in the paypal case alongside the seller's "perfect" description if you have to.

Yeah, this is the picture set I sent to paypal- https://imgur.com/a/L0GIl

The biggest issue being that big scar in the corner which I figured came from a screen replacement or something (looks like something got jammed in between the screen edge and the metal, then dragged down a good .75"), but the screen is fine and has no dead pixels or other signs of issue.

I'll grab some more pics along with the screen shot of the description I have and see if I can upload it- at first glance I can't find where I am able to upload more supporting info since he went straight to a claim rather than opt for communication first.

Holy crap...well hopefully PP side with you and that guy needs to be banned from [H] for his appalling attitude

Well, very quickly he responded to the Paypal case, escalated it to a claim for a PP decision and said its not his problem.

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

send it with enough insurance to cover what you paid and signature required.

Well done. I always am careful as to how I describe my items. Though I think the seller just slipped up here and he's probably not a bad guy.

Perfect condition means no cosmetic or mechanical/electronic flaws. Seller screwed up. All he had to do was put it had a few dings in it and provide pics to prospective buyers.

Appears the seller was bL33d

Too bad you couldn't resolve this since you guys have done business before.

Last edited:
Lesson to buyers and sellers:

For items like this, make note of S/N to eliminate the accusation of switching the item.

Perfect condition means no cosmetic or mechanical/electronic flaws. Seller screwed up. All he had to do was put it had a few dings in it and provide pics to prospective buyers.

Appears the seller was bL33d

Too bad you couldn't resolve this since you guys have done business before.

Yup, I was surprised. Glad I didn't send crypto for this purchase.

Lesson to buyers and sellers:

For items like this, make note of S/N to eliminate the accusation of switching the item.

Yup, I took extensive pics and a video as well, you can never be too sure.

Back