What defragmentation software do you use, if any?

BuisyBizz

Limp Gawd
I used to use Diskeeper, but what's the best one out now? A while back i heard O&O was the best, but i never used it. What do you use now, if you even use one?

I'm actually looking for a defrag app right now too, so this is perfect. I'll check out the two already mentioned.

boredguyatcomp said:
i use the free windows one....why you ask? because they all do the same thing.
That's not true at all.

And I love Perfect Disk

A while ago I did a lot of research on it, I don't have anything handy now.

Depends on how you look at it. In the end, your supposed to have a non-fragmented drive with all defrag programs, pretty straight forward. In that sence, they are all the same. But they way the program decides what is fragmented, what needs to be moved, where it needs to be moved, what order to place it, how to move it, etc. is all competely different. Say Windows Defrag thinks that the best way to organize the data for optimum access is in alphabetical order, then it will move it to alphabetical order and appear a non-fragmented drive in Windows sence. But if another program thinks that the frequency of most to least used is the best way to organize a drive, then it will do so and appear competely fragmented to another program and non-fragmented to this other program that designed it like that.

Hawk001 said:
Depends on how you look at it. In the end, your supposed to have a non-fragmented drive with all defrag programs, pretty straight forward. In that sence, they are all the same. But they way the program decides what is fragmented, what needs to be moved, where it needs to be moved, what order to place it, how to move it, etc. is all competely different. Say Windows Defrag thinks that the best way to organize the data for optimum access is in alphabetical order, then it will move it to alphabetical order and appear a non-fragmented drive in Windows sence. But if another program thinks that the frequency of most to least used is the best way to organize a drive, then it will do so and appear competely fragmented to another program and non-fragmented to this other program that designed it like that.

i suppose but it doesnt really matter much where it is as long as it is all together.

I forget, does windows defrag allow offline defraging? Like it defrags before the windows loads.

Rusky said:
I forget, does windows defrag allow offline defraging? Like it defrags before the windows loads.

If you boot to the Command line similar to how you boot to safe mode you can try this method.

Windows Defrag...why not...it's there and requires no extra effort in finding another program :p

I use the command line one that came with windows, set to run unattended daily.

-From the title

In NTFS and FAT based storage volumes, data will ALWAYS become fragmented over time. Letting that build up can result in data loss and other consequences.

Langford said:
I use the command line one that came with windows, set to run unattended daily.

The command line utility that defrags is a text based version of the Windows Defragmenter.

I was reading a PC Magazine a while back and it had Diskeeper at the top for speed of actually defraging the drive completely.

I am currently using diskeeper but have used O&O. Both are excellent. O&O seems to be less bloated but diskeeper is very fast in defraging drives.

Hawk001 said:
-From the title

In NTFS and FAT based storage volumes, data will ALWAYS become fragmented over time. Letting that build up can result in data loss and other consequences.

Nope, fragmentation does not lead to data loss or crashes (at least not on any OS newer than Windows 3.11). It does lead to performance loss. Data loss and crashes are due to disk failures. A highly fragged disk will reveal these types of issues earlier as it begins to fail as a heavily fragged disk does work harder.

I use an older version of dirms as was suggested by Ranma (and a few others). It looks like the newer versions come with a GUI and can do some more fancy stuff. The version I have is command line only. Works incredibly well.

I've heard that O&O's on-the-fly is fantastic but don't know first hand.

Also, for more info about defragging and how some of the programs alredy mentioned in this thread work, check the PDF file here from the above website.

I use Diskeeper. Very good !
Also I think the Windows XP defrag is a lesser version of Diskeeper, so it is not that bad I guess.

Back