What are you guys using for Antivirus protection these days?

TC10284

Limp Gawd
Can be free or paid. Prefer free, but nonetheless.

AVG Free?
Avira?
Norton (lol - I hope not)?
Vipre?
Trendmicro?
Other?

Microsoft Security Essentials - BETA

The Beta is officially over, but you can still grab the install file which works fine at several download sites.

AVG Lisenced at work
MS SE at home

NOD32, ATM. I'll probably check out Essentials when my current license runs out. There's just too much good talk about it to ignore.

MSE on this laptop, Avast! Home Edition on both desktops

edit...ignore that, MSE on all computers.

Last edited:
Another vote for MSE (used to use Avira, but MSE is better in every way).

When is MSE official slated for release again?

Awesome. I tried MSE on an XP 32bit system and it works quite nicely. Granted there were no virus/malware infections to begin with, but I'm impressed.

Avast Home Free Version. Clean and simple, and did I mention Free? ;)

Eset Nod32 Antivirus 4
Spybot S & D
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall

Here is my set up!

Avria Free /w the ad disabled...google it, easy to do.
Spyware Blaster
Spybot
CCleaner (I have OCD and run this every 10 minutes) ;-P

I feel this set up is very light weight, offers great protection and is NOT intrusive!

I usually install Avira, MSE, Avast or Nortons, depending on if my customers want to pay (some insist on it) and what their technical capability will let them handle.

Here is my set up!

Avria Free /w the ad disabled...google it, easy to do.
Spyware Blaster
Spybot

I feel this set up is very light weight, offers great protection and is NOT intrusive!

Eset Nod32 Antivirus 4
Spybot S & D
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall

Why bother with all these apps when you can just install MSE and be done with it?

I used microsoft security essentials. I've never gotten any false positives from it,
and it's saved me quite a few times from getting a virus on my system plus it is
updated daily so you'll always have the newest definitions for it. The only down
side is it's on-demand scanning speed which can be kinda slow but other than
that I'd recommend it hands down. MSE is short for microsoft security essentials.

Microsoft Security Essentials
I'll check it out!

Does it conflict with other AV/Security software?
Is this a joke? Do you want to have MSE and another AV running at the same time?:eek:

Last edited:
I don't dance.
I've been using MSE for about a month and it works great. I run WHS and for whatever reason it never recognized Avira, so I always got the alert that I was missing an AV.
I was very much a NOD32 person for years, but I'm really liking MSE. My paranoia level over the years has dwindled. I no longer run periodic checksums on my system files.

Wow alot of users for MSE? Will have to check it out, but right now I am using NOD32.

It really is that good. Think of Windows Defender, except now it checks for viruses too (among other things). Very low impact too, takes hardly any resources. I've put it on many of my friend's machines (they're all big gamers) and it hasn't slowed them down whatsoever.

Yea, as for free AV, nothing can touch MSE except for Avira Anti-Vir which is what I used previously.

I still install Avira on clients PC's because MSE is still technically Beta.

Try VIPRE from sunbelt software. It's what my company's recommendation is when we have an issue that Symantec can't resolve.

Yea, as for free AV, nothing can touch MSE except for Avira Anti-Vir which is what I used previously.

I still install Avira on clients PC's because MSE is still technically Beta.

Avira is what I used to use as well. It's still an excellent AV option if you don't feel comfortable using MSE seeing as it's still in beta.

Absolutely perfect for the low power computers that don't have the overhead for real time protection and on my main computer where I like to keep background applications to a minimum for gaming purposes.

See that is the type of attidude that gets people upset. Those of us who have tested modern AV's like Avira and MSE in gaming situations know that they don't make a difference whatsoever.

IMO the whole "AV slows down gaming systems" is the fault of shitty, bloated AV from Symantec and McAfee.

Started using ClamAV here because it doesn't run anything in the background and operates either on a schedule or on-demand. Absolutely perfect for the low power computers that don't have the overhead for real time protection and on my main computer where I like to keep background applications to a minimum for gaming purposes.

I second that and use ClamWin AV on most of my systems, fast or slow/old, mainly because I know what not to open.

Started using ClamAV here because it doesn't run anything in the background and operates either on a schedule or on-demand. Absolutely perfect for the low power computers that don't have the overhead for real time protection and on my main computer where I like to keep background applications to a minimum for gaming purposes.

You can do that with antivirus products that are much better and actually capable of finding malware on your computer and removing it. Clam...it can't find its way out of a paper bag, it has a woefully inadequate virus detection rate, and even worse is its ability to detect modern threats like spyware/trojans/rootkits.

Back