were can I get liquid Nitrogen

Due to 9-11 LN is considered HAZ MAT. It is especially hazardous if you do not know how to handle it. You do have to have a license for it, although if you are very creative you can obtain it, or so I am told, in very small quantities. We use it in our facility, but we are licensed to do so. I would not suggest playing with this stuff.

Can't seem to find anywhere in the UK where you can buy LN in small quantities (couple of litres or so). If anyone finds/knows or a place please PM me :D

i HAVE to resurrect this thread. to much bad information in the beginning. The real good stuff is in the middle/end

back in 2004, LN cost less than milk and you could get it from a local university (of willing university student). You just had to ask at that time wiht an academic reason, iirc.

If any one tells you that accidentally (or purposefully) thrusting your unprotected hand in a vat liquid nitrogen, for a short period of time, is dangerous and will damage you, they've either never done it themselves, or are full of crap. Been there, done that, still pretty. want to know why? your body temperature flash vaporizes the LN until the rest of the LN equalizes around that. You can spin it around and stuff. It feels like cold, wet fog. Just...take it out...

But wear gloves when handling it...have fun, shock your friends, but don't be stupid.

and yes, this is all from personal experience.

Hehe gargling LN...i have to try that

As for mercury, back in the day, no on knew that mercury was toxic. the problem is that it causes birth defects and poisoning and craziness. Lovely lawsuits happened...insurance policies, among things now make everyone merc-phobic. I mean, the stuff is dangerous, dont' get me wrong, but shoot...they treat it like anthrax. It's over blown what they do, like closing down a wing of a school. They did the same thing with asbestos, and Freon-12 (AKA, R12). I mean, there was this chemical, i forget which, but it was considered so safe, people DRANK IT to prove it. They later found out otherwise. We did lots of stupid things in this new scientific age with "wonder" drugs and chemicals. Put it this way: that fake sugar substitute (literally keeps your fat and is like acid to your bran cells), BT headsets (em poisoning), and cellphones (same as BT) will kill you WAY before you feel the effects of mercury. I mean, seriously, it's STILL used in cosmetics to this day (except in MN..and that was only banned last year)

In the end, most people are stupid, and need to be protected from themselves. if you think you're smart enough to take calculated risks and get away with it, fine, just make sure you do all the research first.

back in 2004, LN cost less than milk and you could get it from a local university (of willing university student).

You should still be able to do that. At least if the student you're contacting is part of a lab that uses LN. Most chemistry and biology labs do. I know that in my lab we use LN vats to keep cells in a hibernated, dormant state.

i HAVE to resurrect this thread. to much bad information

back in 2004, LN cost less than milk and you could get it from a local university (of willing university student).

If any one tells you that accidentally (or purposefully) thrusting your unprotected hand in a vat liquid nitrogen, for a short period of time, is dangerous and will damage you, they've either never done it themselves, or are full of crap. Been there, done that, still pretty. want to know why? your body temperature flash vaporizes the LN until the rest of the LN equalizes around that. You can spin it around and stuff. It feels like cold, wet fog. Just...take it out...

But wear gloves when handling it...have fun, shock your friends, but don't be stupid.

and yes, this is all from personal experience.

OK, define short period of time. 1/2 a second, 5 seconds, a minute. Anything past a few seconds unprotected, and you could be seriously injured. Any one saying otherwise is full of crap, and has never actually done it. Splash injuries can actually be worse due to the added cooling effect of evaporation. Of course most of the time colledge kids are not dealing with adequate quantities to need to worry about that.

Call it FUD if you want, your life...... unsubscribed.

OK, define short period of time. 1/2 a second, 5 seconds, a minute. Anything past a few seconds unprotected, and you could be seriously injured. Any one saying otherwise is full of crap, and has never actually done it. Splash injuries can actually be worse due to the added cooling effect of evaporation. Of course most of the time colledge kids are not dealing with adequate quantities to need to worry about that.

Call it FUD if you want, your life...... unsubscribed.

2-3 seconds was my flirt with danger, but i swished my arm around in there. Hehe, don't worry, i was the only one in my college chem class to have the balls to do it first. teacher supervision. She said she only let the engineers do it because we're not stupid enough to do something like this to our arm...the proceeded to freeze a leaf and smash it on the table. How is 2 gallons for adequate quantity? Also played with dry ice, and blew up hydrogen ballons with a lighter. It was a great class. Like i said, been there, done that. No one is saying that LN isn;t dangerous if not respected, but you do have leeway with it that you wouldn't get with, HCl or other fun chemicals.

hehe i mean, don't get on me about it, one of you guys had a teacher that gargled it!

But you are right...spills are dangerous. You have a lot of bad hitting not enough good to compensate. That is completely different though due to the effective area of reaction. In other words, if you want to touch LN, don't spill it on yourself, dive right in.

anyways, i only resurrected the thread to let them know about the misconceptions of things. don't believe about the instant freezes you see on TV. Terminator 2 was the closest where the T1000 flailed around a bit before he succumbed. I think mnd hunters also got it right.

Back