WEP/WPA Security

Xan

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the option of using either WEP (40 or 128-bit), or WPA Personal (Pre-Shared Key).

This is for my home network. My wife and I primarly use 802.11g for internet access and rarely share data across the network. I would like to setup a server in my home at somepoint, but that should be wired - not wireless.

I do purchase lots of equipment online and I want to make sure that my data isn't being sniff'd. I don't have too many people around my house, and the ones that are around me are pretty old. (No I will not define what my definition of what "old" is ;))

Is WEP 128-bit "good enough" for most people? OR Is setting up WPA (64-bit hexidecimal characters) worth it?

I've never tried to sniff, or crack WEP - dont really care too either, but I do care about people trying to view whats going across my wireless lan.

any ideas and/or suggestions?

Originally posted by Xan
I have the option of using either WEP (40 or 128-bit), or WPA Personal (Pre-Shared Key).

This is for my home network. My wife and I primarly use 802.11g for internet access and rarely share data across the network. I would like to setup a server in my home at somepoint, but that should be wired - not wireless.

I do purchase lots of equipment online and I want to make sure that my data isn't being sniff'd. I don't have too many people around my house, and the ones that are around me are pretty old. (No I will not define what my definition of what "old" is ;))

Is WEP 128-bit "good enough" for most people? OR Is setting up WPA (64-bit hexidecimal characters) worth it?

I've never tried to sniff, or crack WEP - dont really care too either, but I do care about people trying to view whats going across my wireless lan.

any ideas and/or suggestions?

1) double posting is unnecessary.

2) WPA has a weakness similar to that in WEP.

3) A single layer of security is NEVER sufficient. Turn on MAC address filtering. Disable SSID broadcast. Only use encrypted protocols over your wireless network. Use a VPN over the wireless network if you insist on using unencrypted protocols; use one anyway, to provide user- as well as host-based authentication for use of the wireless net.

Sorry about the double post... It was an accident! I have made enough posts here to know better ;)

From reading your reply I understand WEP/WPA use similar encryption and share similar weaknesses.

If I was to use WEP 128-bit, and MAC Filtering, and I changed my keys every so often (weekly and/or monthly) I would be protected good enough for home use - right?

I dont hardly transfer stuff from computer to computer so my MB/GB transfter rates would be super low, my primary use is internet access.

Back