Weird problem with Windows file sharing, help please! :)

MTB2Live Live4Comps

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello
I've set up my home network and it works on all but one of the computers. The server is Gentoo Linux running Samba and the working clients are an XP desktop, MCE 2005 desktop, and an OSX laptop. There's another XP laptop which can browse files on the other windows clients just fine, but when I try to access the Samba server it gives me this: \\Brian\share refers to a location that is unavailable.
Like I said, all the other clients work just fine. Anybody have any clue what might be going on?
Thanks!!

Since you didn't tell us what troubleshooting you've already tried, let's start simple.

Can you ping the linux box by its netbios name? By IP address?

Yes, I can ping it by both netbios and IP. The shares show up when i browse them in "my network places" or by workgroup, but it won't connect for some reason.

Where do I even look to troubleshoot file sharing in XP? Sorry, it's just been about 7 years since I switched full time to Linux and hence my Windows skills have rusted to just about nothing :rolleyes:. I dug around in the control panel and my network places, but I couldn't even find where to change from Simple to Normal file sharing... so yea.

Back