Weird issue persisting across three builds

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
In short, the issue is that there seems to be a limit to the number of windows which can be open simultaneously. At some point I'll attempt to open a new window, or open a menu in an existing window, and it'll fail to open, or the app won't work properly (mediaplayer can't load the video file I'm trying to open).

This issue has persisted across three builds, with the only common components being the FDD, case and one HDD. I used WinXP (SP2/3) and Win2k3 R2 with both the same issue.

The only thing I can think of is that the partition on this HDD which I use for applications somehow is affecting the Windows installation. No idea how or why, but it's the only somewhat logical thing I can think of.

I ran virus scans and anything else I could think of (spyware and hardware failure), but all tests came up negative. Suffice it to say that this is a puzzling issue :(

If I can't solve this I'm probably going to wipe this HDD clean and repartition it, reinstall Windows and hope it solved it. Until then any ideas are most welcome :)

Back