Weird Issue - Anomaly?

Valthar

n00b
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
61
I didn't exactly know where to start this, so I put it in General Hardware. I had an issue come up the other night and wanted to see what others thoughts were.

Computer was purchased about 15 months ago, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (LGA 775), Intel E8500, Antec EarthWatts EA650 PS, Powercolor 4850, OCZ Plat DDR2 1066 (2 x 2GB) and 2 Seagate 7200.11 750GB HDD (mirrored) are the major components all housed in a Gigabyte Triton 180 case. Simple gaming machine that runs fine for what I play, so no plans on upgrade at the moment. Windows 7 OS.

So the situation is, I'm playing L4D2 with a buddy on Monday evening. We're about an hour in the session when I start to see some video stutter that I attributed to lag or whatever and about 30 seconds later my computer blue screens... full on BSD with memory dump, first time it's ever happened to me on this computer since I purchased it.

After the mem dump, it reboots but hangs on the Raid screen right after BIOS. My thoughts at first were "crap, just lost one of my HDD". So I power the system off and let it sit for about a minute, then power it back on... only to be greeted with no video (everything else sounded like it started up fine) and a constant stream of short beeps from the MB. My thoughts then turned to "crap, must be video card then... that would explain the video stutter and BSD"

So I unplug all the cables and take the unit out to my workbench. I blow the inside out with compressed air to clean it all up and start fiddling with it. I stick a spare video card in and get the same stream of short beeps and no video, but all drives/fans/lights/etc... start up like normal. Swap back in my original video card and I go looking for the MB manual. It tells me that constant short beeps upon power on are apparently related to a power issue, not video. So I pull the power to all drives and the MB itself, then re-connect them. Power on and viola, system boots normal and all is well.

I've checked for any shorts, bare wires, or anything else that may cause it and have found nothing. I can't figure out why, randomly, it would just BSD from an apparent power issue and then cause the MB beep fault, only to run perfectly fine once I've reseated the 24 pin and corresponding 8 pin power cables from the power supply. The thing works fine now, no issues, no crashes... been running 24/7 since I fixed it Monday evening just like before, running all games/programs.

Any thoughts from the gallery on why this may have occured or what may have caused it? Could it have been dust? When I blew it out it seemed to have the "normal" amount of dust in it that a computer will gather in a years timeframe or so, nothing out of the ordinary. Just looking to see what you all to say I guess...

Thanks,

Troy
 
Back
Top