Weird desktop picture problem

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
hey guys i am working on a sony vaio desktop (pcv-rs710) and when you rightclick @ desktop, properties, desktop I am unable to change the desktop pic, all options except organize desktop. All other options are greyed out.

Any ideas?

I saw this on a computer brought into the helpdesk at a college where I worked. Spy ware caused it. I scanned it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a full scan and it found a corrupt registry value and restored it.

well that found some things but did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions?

try running spybot search and destroy, that can sometimes be a good one to pick up some spyware. You probably aren't able to access your screen saver either are you? Also is it running XP or Vista

Go to Start, Run, then type in regedit, then hit enter.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

On the right side of the screen, you'll probably have an entry called "Wallpaper.htm". Delete it.

Your background should now be accessible.

also it is not saving the windows theme. I set it windows classic, click apply and close. Then re-open and its back to modified theme.?

If it's Vista Business or Ultimate, your group policy could be enabled to not allow backgrounds to be changed. Go to the search bar and type in gpedit.msc, (going off memory here) go to user config ->windows components - > control panel and see if anything is enabled. Also check the desktop ->active desktop settings.

Back