Webserver software question

towert7

2[H]4U
Hello, i am working for my local High School, and we have a Webserver that hosts our school webpage.

Our school has 2 cable modems but 1 line, one for the school, and one for the office.

The current webserver is connected to the cable modem that supports the majority of the school which is running on port 80.

My question is this: The head of the computer department want's to set up another web server for the front office to be able to access from home (internet) and they are looking at an Apache web server. Sadly, we do not have a router with port forwarding, but that should'nt make much of a diffrence.

Is there a way i can keep both servers running on port 80? If not, does appache offer other HTTP ports such as 8080 or 8181?

Any information that you can give me would be of Great importance.

~Thanks

I think that the best way is to use virtual name servers and set up both sites on the same apache installation. It can take 2 sites easy. If you can't due to space requirements or whatever you can look into proxying with apache. I have not tried it, but evidently you can use one apache install as a door to other apache servers inside the network. Finally, yes you can specify the port to listen on to put the second server on any other port you want. (most commonly 8080)

Ok, that makes sense.

But here's the thing, if we get a domain name, how will we tell the DNS what computer is hosting the "front office" website?

im affraid if we just give the DNS the external IP address, it will search for a webserver on por 80 and find the "main school" webpage first. But, like you said, if there was a way to have apache "finger" the other computer automatically..... Blagh!

we have 1 external IP address, and from there it becomes internal. Is there a way to specify a external and internal... so its pointing to JUST ONE computer when setting up a DNS?

Also, would there be a better program besides Apache?

~Thanks for your help

Do you run a DNS server on the front box? How is your DNS getting resolved currently?

you'd simply point both domain names at the same ip, setup a virtual domain in apache and then you use www.yyy.com and it'll goto the second website, you use www.xxx.com it'll goto the main website, and if you just enter the ip address it'll goto the main website also, you need to have a domain (or even a subdomain of your current domain would work) for each website.

Yea, currently i think the DNS is just based off our external address. Ill have to check with him on monday.

Xtasy0, your solution sounds like a good idea. Do both websites have to be hosted on 1 computer with apache for virtual domain, or can the webserver we already have point to another computer running the second website using apache. If so, this is probably the best way to do this.

~Thanks again

Back