watercooling old school stuff?

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 23, 2001
Messages
12,051
I'm thinking about wasting money and time and hooking up watercooling to my 500 mhz K6-2 server. Assuming the absolute cheapest parts, what do you think I can get?

Pump: ViaAqua 360 Pump, 152 GPH $8.49
(thats only a few gph under the $35 hydor I got off of dangerden...I seriously should return it and buy something from here)

Tubing: 3/8" ID 1/2" OD 25 x $0.20 = $5
(25 feet is minimum)

Block: Spir@l Waterblock $25.00
(hey look, bastards are selling the non-crappy topped ones cheap now...right after I bought a maze4)

Radiator: heater core = < $10 from junkyard
(theyre nearly 30 at autozone now)

Clamps: Zipties, or $3 at home depot

Barbs = $5

fan = whatever 80 mm's I had lying around.

$56.49 for something that could probabily keep a not OC'd modern computer relativly cool...plenty for the 500 mhz server.

now to get the money...

if anyone has any suggestions for a cheaper waterblock, post it. also the heatercore might be, uh, free...junkyard doesnt pay attention much.
 
You could probably find a used Maze 2 really cheap, but $25 is a great price for the spir@l.

I don't know if I'd get a via aqua. Try for a maxijet instead, they're a little more reliable.
 
Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
You could probably find a used Maze 2 really cheap, but $25 is a great price for the spir@l.

I don't know if I'd get a via aqua. Try for a maxijet instead, they're a little more reliable.

thats what I was thinking, but I really like 8.50 for the pump. again, this is more theoretical, im saving up for a bike since come august, I have no mode of transportation.

also dont maxijets need adapters? i guess I can get that at marinedepot, but still, thatd be more to buy.


most expensive of all of this is that damn waterblock, i mean its a really good block that as i said, would cool a modern proc well, let alone older hardware, but its half whats paid...an alum project block epoxied shut might be better, possibly even direct die...
 
Back
Top