Water Cooling

Genesis98

n00b
Can somebody tell me "The Best" water cooling set-up available right now? Water now not vapour.

I'll list by componant
Blocks:

Cather's LR Cascade
D-Tec Whitewater
Danger Den RBX
Swiftech MCW5000

Pumps:

Eheim 1250 & 1048
Hydor L30
Danner Mag3
Maxijet 1200

Tubing:

Tygon or Clearflex
Tygon is a bit better)

Reservior:

There are many out there and an infinant amount of DIY possibilities. The 2 key factors here are 1) how easy is it to access/fill and 2) capacity.
With capacity, more is always better. The bayres style reserviors are good, but can be hard to access. Also, things like chamber seperators that force the water flow to travel a further distance are a real plus. I have seen some poorly designed reserviors where the inlet and outlet are too close together with nothing inbetween. This allows the water to basically pass from one inlet to the other which looses the bennefit of the extra capacity.

Radiator:

Pretty much any heater core will give you good performance, of course bigger is better. (more surface area = teh win) Also, 1/2" inlets are what you want here. (although most people braze in their own fittings anyways. The biggest limitation to heatercores is the limited range of sizes and shapes. If you need something of a specific size or shape, oil coolers can be found in a vast array of sizes and shapes and perform only slightly worse than heatercores. I use an oil cooler in my system because I wanted to mount it inside a window AC unit and none of the heater cores I could find fit anywhere near as well.

This is mostly just sort of a primer list. I'm sure you will find there is much more to it than this, but these are the most common things you will hear.
Hope this helps.

What about all-in-one kits like the Koolance Exos what are the temperature differences be tween this and a kit I would assemble from various parts. I was also looking at the corsair water cooler.

Both the EXOS and the Corsair job should work fine, assuming you don't plan on going nonlinear with OCing. The EXOS won the [H] Top Pick, so I'd put that at the top of my list for corporate solutions.

However, D-Tek has a pretty good looking kit in the form of the FlowMaster, although the reservoir isn't one I would recommend. You would probably want to select the WW block, along with an Eheim 1250 pump.

In my humble opinion, Danger Den's Maze-4 Powerkit, is the premier offering for the $199 price-tag.

It includes their Maze-4 CPU clock, Hydor L30 (320Gph) pump, Black Ice Extreme Radiator, Sunon 120mm/92CFM fan, 1.5 Meter's of 1/2" clear DD tubing, clamps, Water Weter, and AS3!

I likie alot, and my temps have dropped to below 20C, and stayed there. Of course I keep the hardware external of the case, and my case is wide-open.

cap_455.jpg

Here's my review on the goods; http://www.ksbrainstorms.com

Back