Water cooled Heatsink

ATi_Loyalist

Limp Gawd
do you guys think it would make sense to enclose a 1u copper cooler in a small aluminum box, and run water thru it instead of air? what kind of results would it produce? the heatsink would have bigger fins and more surface area to contact with the water, what about a radiator? what kind, maybe a dual 120 to dissapate all that heat?

Probably be more trouble/cost than just buying a waterblock. It probably wouldn't work as well as many of the blocks out there because they go through a ton of research to get the best design. Things like flow impingment, surface thickness and dimpling are all things incorporated into designs. Simply adding water to a heatsink designed for air will probably not get you near the performance level of most blocks. It would give you an improvement though. If you decide to go about this, please post pics and results as I don't think anyone has done it before. Also, a quick tip, have your inlet direct its flow directly onto the middle of the cooler over the CPU. Water jetting strait down in this manner gives the best results.

I agree with Cgrant. But what I've always wondered is what if they blended the two. The lower part would be a standard waterblock, the top part would have fins come out of it with a regular CPU fan. It obviously wouldn't hurt performance.

Back