Want access to local network only

hiodie

Gawd
This is probably a very easy/stupid question, but searching for it appears to be difficult. I have an old computer that I plan to use as an HTPC in my bedroom that I want connected to my network, but not to the internet. I assume there is an option in either my router or computer to allow it. Searching only gives me people who cannot connect to the internet but can connect to their network (as a problem). The computer is running XP Pro and I have it connected to a switch that is then connected to a Linksys WRT54G router. I don't plan to run anti-virus on it, so I really would like it to only access my other PCs. TIA

Give it a static IP, don't enter a default gateway.

However, just because it can't access the internet does not mean it can't get infected by a virus. Without internet access, it won't have Windows Update access either. Which means when the next incarnation of something like conficker runs rampant on your network, this machine will get it too.

On my computer or through the router? Sorry, my interest in computers usually stops at networking, so I don't know too much about it.

Or set a dummy proxy server for IE if you just want to block IE

Back