Wait for Prescott or just buy a Northwood?

Im thinking about upgrading my cpu i have a fairly decent motherboard right now that i don't want to switch out anytime soon the Asus P4C800 deluxe. But i been hearing that the Prescott cpus on the 478 socket runs hot and isn't as fast as the equally clocked Northwood. But i was wondering if i was to overclock the prescott to lets say....3.9 to 4 from 2.8. Would it be worth it to buy it? I have watercooling by the way so heat isn't much of a problem for me.

good luck, i dont think its possible to get it that far and if you do, its going to be a water heater instead of a cpu

What CPU do you currently have?

If I were to buy a new CPU right now, it would be the Northwood.

If you need to upgrade now, I recommend getting a northwood and overclock it.

right now i have a willamette core P4 i bought the new motherboard when it was brand new in anticipation for a new cpu but i just recently saved enought money for the chip....yea im a student

If you are thinking about overclocking a prescott, I'd be sure to have a nice 400 watt or higher powersupply to go along with it.

Its already pulling 100watts at around 3ghz. Overvolt just a tiny bit and shoot for 4Ghz, and you will be pulling a good 150watts+ from the 12 volt line just for the processor. For reference, a Northwood 3.2C pulls 82 watts.

Uh, it's common knowledge that the Alderwood and Grantsdale chipsets have a Q2 release date. It's also known that the 3.6 LGA Prescott ships in April to compete with the socket 939 A64 3700+. You put two and two together. But since your majesty demands it and is too lazy to keep himself updated, I'm compelled to obey. :rolleyes:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20030415091834.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040205093054.html

And yes, the LGA is supposed to help with power consumption and heat dissipation. Another thing is that hopefully the Prescott [3.6] will see another stepping by then. So I ammend my statement, instead of a month, it's a month and a half to two months. Big whoop. Jumping the gun by a few weeks is idiotic.

northwood for socket 478.. or wait till a few overclock the crap out of prescotts and are happy with them..

damn looks like i wasted 180 bucks on this motherboard if i have to buy another one to get the prescott

Or you can do like others suggested and go 2.4C or 2.6C and overclock them. The Northwoods are getting to be regulars at up to 3.4GHz. The Prescotts actually seem to need 3.5GHz and up to best the Northwood, although the real margins between them are nothing major. Not alot of difference from Prescott 3GHz to a Northwood 3GHz as far as anyone has shown in the benchmarks of late.

i mean when the retail versions come out
because 2.8E OEM and 2.8C are the same price at newegg.
im hoping that when the 2.8E retail comes out that the 2.8C would drop down to like 160s or something

The 3.2c I just got is pretty awesome. I haven't found it's limit yet, but right now I'm at 3.6ghz @ default voltage. It just keeps taking whatever I throw at it.

Originally posted by mewannafastpc
i mean when the retail versions come out
because 2.8E OEM and 2.8C are the same price at newegg.
im hoping that when the 2.8E retail comes out that the 2.8C would drop down to like 160s or something

Not going to happen until they release the 3.6's in April or so.

Man you're getting spoiled. Everything just dropped big bucks with the release of Prescott at the beginning of this month.

The 2.8, 3.0 & 3.2's all just dropped big time in prices and you're still not happy! All you need it a 2.4C or 2.6C anyway and you will get probably 3.2-3.6Ghz CPU with a very high FSB for major memory bandwidth.

Well i own a FX-51 setup and i am very happy, but i want to build a a new Prescott setup, what should i do wait another month then for sure? I dont really care about the price just want the fastest Intel setup.

I'm hoping that the Northwoods have one more good stepping left. It would be great if a Northy 3.2 reaching 4GHz on air became doable.

Originally posted by Marcdaddy
Well i own a FX-51 setup and i am very happy, but i want to build a a new Prescott setup, what should i do wait another month then for sure? I dont really care about the price just want the fastest Intel setup.

Yet another marcdaddy, "I have too much dough" post. See his, "should I sell all my stuff and get 939pin when it comes out" thread. A lot of people feel jealous that you have enough cash to be throwing around like this, me included. Thanks!

Originally posted by pakotlar
P4 2.8C @ 3.6 ghz (258 fsb)
P4C800-E Deluxe
1gb Mushkin lvl 2 Black pc 3500 2/2/2/6
BBAti 9800Pro @ 412/365
Maxtor Sata 120gb 8mb cache
TBSC
White Water/L30/Pro Core

I've got the same RAM and MB as you, but I can't get it to do 2/2/2/6. It will only do 2/3/2/6. Any thoughts? Is it worth trying to make it happen?

I've got the same RAM and MB as you, but I can't get it to do 2/2/2/6. It will only do 2/3/2/6. Any thoughts? Is it worth trying to make it happen?
<h3>are you serious?????</h3>

jeez get over it its not going to make a difference

Back