VPN question, how to find out external IP of my network

fmalgapo

n00b
I'm trying to access my network at work from home. The sad part is, im replacing the network admin of the company and am the sole IT guy here. All the workstations have internal IP addresses. From the file/print/VPN server, I know for sure VPN/routing and remote access is enabled. My network has PPTP and L2TP as its protocols but from home I do not have the external IP address to enter the VPN. How do I find this out? There is a hardware firewall but I do not have access to it since it is password protected (predecessor did not leave documentation) and the manufacturer no longer supports it. It is a Netscreen 005 firewall device.

Gonna need a little more info.
Are you tunneling using Windows Server or do you have a VPN Concentrator?

from inside the network... just type in www.whatismyip.com and it should tell you your external ip address.

As with your external firewall, i would try and contact your predecessors quickly... or else your SOL... and would need to buy a new external firewall.

Originally posted by fmalgapo
There is a hardware firewall but I do not have access to it since it is password protected (predecessor did not leave documentation) and the manufacturer no longer supports it. It is a Netscreen 005 firewall device.

Do you have physical access to the device?

If yes:
http://www.webhost.com.hk/firewall/manuel.htm
"The Command Line which is extremely useful and convenient for those skillful engineers to configure their NetScreen."

Direct link for command line manual:
http://www.webhost.com.hk/firewall/pdf/Cli.zip

Go to the section titled:
Starting the Terminal Emulator
It should be around page #13....

From console with a serial cable attached to the device:
"4. At the login prompt, enter netscreen.
5. At the password prompt, enter netscreen.
"

Good luck with the rest of it, just requires you to go thru and setup user names with admin access.

Back