VPN proxy issue?

damarious25

Limp Gawd
Normally I'd take a few days to sort this out myself but I'm in a jam and need it ASAP so I thought I'd ask here.

-pfsense
-windows(7) PPTP

Connection to files/folders over the VPN is perfect but I can't seem to find a way to use the VPN server as a proxy. Pfsense has a rule to allow incoming VPN redirection but is there a simple outbound rule I missed? I've also browsed properties of the incoming VPN connection but can't seem to find an option that shares WAN connection with incoming VPN connections.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm sure this is an easy task and I've missed something simple.

-Thanks

I'm not at a computer ATM so I can't be specific. There's an option in the advanced section of the VPN connection to use the remote gateway. That should fix it.

Thanks, but I can't seem to find an advance option. When I go to network connections>Incoming connections>settings> - I get an option to adjust !Pv4 but that only has DHCP options (assign IP automatically, use range, set specific).

Edit: Wait, do you mean advance settings on the client and NOT the server?

in the properties of the pptp connection, networking tab, ipv4, properties, advanced, the use default gateway on remote network needs to be checked.

presuming of course you're using the win7 built in pptp client.

in the properties of the pptp connection, networking tab, ipv4, properties, advanced, the use default gateway on remote network needs to be checked.

presuming of course you're using the win7 built in pptp client.

Yes, win7 built in. And that option is checked but no internet access.
When unchecked I can browse the internet but on the public network. Not what I'm after.

Edit: My fear is that it's trying to negotiate IP address/DNS through the win7 VPN server and not my router (pfsense box). I could be very wrong about that though.

hmmm ... are you pushing the route from the pfsense box? sounds like you get a DHCP from the vpn service but aren't getting a default route along with.

hmmm ... are you pushing the route from the pfsense box? sounds like you get a DHCP from the vpn service but aren't getting a default route along with.

Yes, just pushing route through the pfsense box. I would agree this is a DHCP/DNS error. I just can't find the options on the win7 VPN server to redirect VPN DHCP/DNS requests over LAN to the pfsense box.

Edit: The "default gateway on remote network" has been enabled by default the entire time but I've been playing with all the other settings (blindly) for a few hours and it seems to be working. Will need to take more time to figure out what it was I actually did to make it work. Thanks to usr and mad for the help!

Last edited:
Back