VPN for LAN games?

Trekerboy

Limp Gawd
The situation:

I go one college, my friends go to a neighboring college. We want to play LAN games but obviosly we are not on the same network. So I thought a VPN would work here. So I setup an incoming connection on my XP box and a client connection on my friends computer, and he can connect to me but is unable to access my local resources i.e. shared folders.

I think my problem lies in the assignation of IP addresses. I've set the ip range from 141.213.189.174 to 141.213.189.179 becuase my perminant address is 141.213.189.173 and I can't change that while I'm here at college.

Has anyone had experience in this area and can offer some advice or some documentation on setting up this sort of network config? Thanks for any help!

not sure on this so dont quote me, but if you are doing a VPN, you shouldnt be using your public IP inside the VPN should you? you should both assign a non-routeable IP to your VPN tunneled interface, that way you can talk to each other?

Yep you are right use private addresses, luckly for you XP has the ablilty to have more than one IP set to the same card. Assign him an address in the private range. 192.168.xxx.xxx will do, assing a second IP so your card in the sme range. Go to the Ip properties and click advanced, there you should see how to set a second address.

As for him not being able to access your network shares, can he do it when he is physicall in the same room with you?

you could always set up an ssh server and tunnel the vnc ports through that, dunno if you have an extra box you can put linux on though (linux seems easier to setup ssh on that windows)

/edit: sorry i misread it as the vnc post when i came back to reply

Originally posted by bigstusexy

As for him not being able to access your network shares, can he do it when he is physicall in the same room with you?

Yeah, I'm sure he would be able to, but my main question was on the assignation of the IPs. I wasn't sure how to get us both in the same range if my card could only have one address, but you all just told me it could have two, so thank you!

- Jason

Ok, new question:

Say you are running a VPN server. Can you have more than one person connect at a time?

I've only been able to get 1 to connect at a time.

Any suggestions?

I think you might have to make more than one connection however I don't know if this will be allowed because its just the pro version. If you want to setup a multipoint to point VPN and don't mind some reading and work check out openvpn.sourceforge.net

Can you ping each other? If you can, it's not an IP problem

Anonymous SAM account and share enumeration is disabled in Windows XP by default + local users identify as guests.

You can try setting "Network Access: Sharing and security model..." in "Security Options" in "Local Policies" to "classic - local users authenticate as themselves"

and

either enabling anonymous enumeration of shares + apply "everyones permissions to anonymous users"

or

Create a local account on your machine with the same username/password as you friend uses to log on locally on his machine.

Back