VNCServer tunneling stopped working. VNCViewer connects then exits without error.

Nazo

2[H]4U
I'm running a VNC server on my server system (the Mandriva 2006 one.) Up until yesterday tunneling to it through SSH has worked every single time I used it, which wasn't often but was on more than a few occasions. Yesterday, at a critical moment when I really needed it, I discovered the hard way that at some point or other it has ceased to function correctly. None of my settings have changed, so I'm still forwarding the same ports the same way.

In fact, the VNCViewer appears to connect at first, then it just simply exits when it should ask for the session password. At this point, it has completely exited and no longer shows up in the task list. No error messages or anything useful like that. I have tried this with several different versions, but, the version I was using at first should have worked considering that it was the same one I had been using multiple times in the past. At this point I'm at a total loss because every troubleshoot option I can think of checks out. Each port is set correctly to the appropriate number (5901 for display 1) and so on. It does give an error if I attempt to connect to a display that is not present, such as 3, but, whenever I try to connect to the one that is present, it just simply exits without any error whatsoever. I've even tried from other machines, just in case there was something with that particular one, but, still exit without error.

Any ideas what is going on here? I can't even think of a single thing that has changed since I last used it sucessfully... By all rights, it should work 100% without troubles since nothing is wrong that I can find anywhere.

EDIT: Just now I tried logging in with a tunneled session to a system on the lan running a different VNCServer (the primary system in my signature, which is running XP SP2 and probably a slightly older version of TightVNC.) This one too exits without an error. I noticed when I tried to connect to another tunneled port which actually pointed to a display that wasn't up (display 2) but was tunneled because sometimes I have one up, it still exited wtihout error curiously enough even though it should have informed me no display was found... Looks like tunneling is definitely the issue here. I'm using PuTTY because these are windows systems (and I haven't learned how to tunnel in the console ssh client yet.) Bear in mind that this worked until the other day and no settings changed that I know of.

I don't suppose anyone could take a crack at this? I no longer need it as much, but, it's very annoying to say the least.

Back