VMware Network Issues

Crath

Weaksauce
I seem to be having a problem with VMwares network setup. I have it (v6.5) setup at work on a fresh install of Win7, and a fresh install of xp installed in vmware. I can ping google's ip just fine, but It wont actually go to any websites. I figure this is a DNS problem. I've been testing different ideas in the virtual network manager but cant seem to get it online. Any tips anybody can give me? Thanks alot.

Since you said v6.5 I gather you are using VMware Workstation.
How do you have the network set up for your VMs, NAT or bridged?

For me, on Windows, it's NAT by default.
If you are using Bridged, then the issue may be that your network doesn't allow the connection of additional machines until those machines are registered with IT.

It would be helpful to have some additional information.
What is the networking option selected (for sure)?
What type of network is your host machine on (home, work, did you have to do anything to connect your computer to the network other than plug it in, what's the subnet you are on, etc.)?

DNS problems are easy to test, if you can get to a site using its IP address in the browser rather than the host name, then there's a DNS problem.

I would also recommend bridged mode, but Thuleman may be right on the money. The VM will get a virtual MAC address, and if your router (where ever you are) has specific MACs setup for routable traffic, you may not be able to get network traffic on your VM. Also, you're not using Hamachi, correct? Himachi will completely jack your VMs, and should be disabled on the host OS, if you have it installed.

Try putting in a public DNS address into the IP settings (4.2.2.2 is an example) for the default DNS server if you can get to google by typing in "209.85.171.100" into the address bar. That would at least let you know if you're default DNS server is keeping you out.

Also, like the other people said, check the MAC tables for your router and make sure that the VM MAC address is listed.

I've used bridged and NAT both for VMware and never had a problem with either. I use NAT currently to keep things seperate and easier to monitor at home but bridged works fine too.

For me, on Windows, it's NAT by default.
If you are using Bridged, then the issue may be that your network doesn't allow the connection of additional machines until those machines are registered with IT.

It would be helpful to have some additional information.
What is the networking option selected (for sure)?
What type of network is your host machine on (home, work, did you have to do anything to connect your computer to the network other than plug it in, what's the subnet you are on, etc.)?

DNS problems are easy to test, if you can get to a site using its IP address in the browser rather than the host name, then there's a DNS problem.
Was on NAT, but I tried both. I got an error while switching to bridged though, which was this

http://i43.tinypic.com/34zawsj.png

I tried both home and work

using a linksys router, ip 10.0.0.100 (not static) and the subnet is 255.255.255.0

Did you happen to change anything in the virtual network manager?
i tried one thing at a time, but changed them back each time
I would also recommend bridged mode, but Thuleman may be right on the money. The VM will get a virtual MAC address, and if your router (where ever you are) has specific MACs setup for routable traffic, you may not be able to get network traffic on your VM. Also, you're not using Hamachi, correct? Himachi will completely jack your VMs, and should be disabled on the host OS, if you have it installed.
i dont know what hamachi is, so i guess not
Try putting in a public DNS address into the IP settings (4.2.2.2 is an example) for the default DNS server if you can get to google by typing in "209.85.171.100" into the address bar. That would at least let you know if you're default DNS server is keeping you out.

Also, like the other people said, check the MAC tables for your router and make sure that the VM MAC address is listed.

I've used bridged and NAT both for VMware and never had a problem with either. I use NAT currently to keep things seperate and easier to monitor at home but bridged works fine too.
but shouldn't that mac list only be used for wireless connections? also, i tried adding a public dns before, didnt work. just tried that one too with no luck.

i tried to ping the computer thats hosting it, 10.0.0.100, and it said destination unreachable

thanks for all the help guys!

the error message in the tinypic url is cut off. I'd like to see the whole thing, please. Also, a quick and dirty network map would be useful.

External (public) IP of router
router mode of operation (bridged, NAT, etc)
Any wireless services running on the router
LAN address of router
Connection type of workstation PC
LAN address of PC
Any VPN/tunneling adapters listed in the control panel>networking section
LAN address of VM

Something on that machine could be hijacking the VMs traffic to the rest of the network

the error message in the tinypic url is cut off. I'd like to see the whole thing, please. Also, a quick and dirty network map would be useful.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vjzlab.png

External (public) IP of router: why is that relevant?
router mode of operation (bridged, NAT, etc) the mode on the router itself?
Any wireless services running on the router wireless g - non broadcasting - mac list access
LAN address of router 10.0.0.1
Connection type of workstation PC ethernet to port 1 of linksys router
LAN address of PC 10.0.0.101 (dynamic)
Any VPN/tunneling adapters listed in the control panel>networking section http://i43.tinypic.com/32zqh06.png
LAN address of VM none set?

Something on that machine could be hijacking the VMs traffic to the rest of the network

thanks!

What's the LAN address of VMnet1 and VMnet8?
i figure something in here is what your looking for. i just included everything i could find

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dw7qkg.jpg

i actually just plugged in this host computer to a netgear router, which is acting as a switch (but i dont think i turned off dhcp yet)

yeah its a messy network at the moment, just curious if you guys may know any settings that could be switched over to let vmware use the computers connection.

who knew this was so hard :p

Back