VLAN Tagging/Trunking Powerconnect 2716

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Having an issue getting my DMZ vlan working.

Running my ASA5505 and i have configured e0/2 for DMZ w/ VLAN ID 3. Connected to my 2716 on port2.
Inside e0/1 w/ VLAN ID 1. Connected to my 2716 on port1.

I am trying to get my DMZ Vlan to ports3&4 (LAG1) but when i assign the LAG group to PVID 3 i lose connectivity on VLAN1. I want to send both VLANs to that host because the teamed adaptor is used for Hyper-v Network Switch.

can someone help me understand port trunking on the Dell? They seem to use odd terminology.

trying to think how i can help you, reading this over and over so i understand it first.. I use a pc5224 with vlans..

Sorry don't have a powerconnect but on the Cisco side, you have to make it (the port/team/link) a trunk so that it can carry more than one vlan.

On the power connect it should look like

interface port-channel ?
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1,3

Do i understand this correctly ? you are going in then back out of the switch ?

How i have mine setup is port 1 is the trunk port, witch is a gigabit port, then connected to my tz210 x1 ( gigabit port ) then every vlan i have created uses port1 as the trunk.

Also if wanted to, then i would set-up another trunk port say port 15, and put that on x3 and create another vlan etc etc.

Yes into the switch and back out to a Host. I am trying to get some VMs on DMZ.

can you actually trunk vlan 1 with everything.. i don't think you can. least on the lower end ones... We only have one of the 2800 series otherwise we have 54xx, 62xx series

No VLAN1 can not be modified. Its untagged on all ports.

I have a 2708 which has less features than the 2716 but what they are slips my mind now. When I get home I'll take a look for you, but the previous poster is right, you can't change VLAN1.

Dell doesn't do trunking in the Cisco sense. Any connection can be a "trunk" if the switch port is tagged. "Untagged" strips the VLAN from the frame and turns it into an access port.

Why are you using e0/2 -> port 2 for vlan 3 and then again creating a LAG on e0/3-4 -> ports 3+4 and tagging vlan 3 on it? That seems redundant. If you are going to use the LAG for your "trunk", what is the point of the e0/2 connection?

I have a 2708 which has less features than the 2716 but what they are slips my mind now. When I get home I'll take a look for you, but the previous poster is right, you can't change VLAN1.

Dell doesn't do trunking in the Cisco sense. Any connection can be a "trunk" if the switch port is tagged. "Untagged" strips the VLAN from the frame and turns it into an access port.

Why are you using e0/2 -> port 2 for vlan 3 and then again creating a LAG on e0/3-4 -> ports 3+4 and tagging vlan 3 on it? That seems redundant. If you are going to use the LAG for your "trunk", what is the point of the e0/2 connection?

e0/2 is from the ASA
LAG1 (e/03, e0/4) is to the Host

Ok. The PVID of the LAG only applies to untagged packets so you should put it back to 1 or you will lose access to the native lan, especially if the management interface of the virtual switch on the other end is in the native vlan. Is the LAG tagged for VLAN3?

Ok. The PVID of the LAG only applies to untagged packets so you should put it back to 1 or you will lose access to the native lan, especially if the management interface of the virtual switch on the other end is in the native vlan. Is the LAG tagged for VLAN3?

OK thats what i was doing. I tried to change it to PVID3 and lost connection, so i put it back.
Right now VLAN3 is tagged on the uplink from the ASA and on the LAG.

Heres some Screenshots....i prob should have done this ahile ago. :eek:
oa7m2x.png

35j9ky8.png

xaqplg.png

Back