Vista64 Ultimate, new HD?

Kraco

n00b
I built a new system, Abit IP Pro,Intel Q6600,4gb memory and installed Win Vista 64bit Ultimate on a 320gb HD,got everything up and running,all the updates and then Installed a second 320gb HD to use just for storage and backups.But Windows Explorer doesn't see it. It shows up in Disk Management as unallocated space and the only option I get when I right click on the drive is for (New simple volume). I take it this means I can't format the drive from here,is that right? If so, how do I go about it? If I put the DVD back in will it try to reinstall Windows? It's been a long time! :) Thanks!

I hope you didn't have just 1 partition for your 320gig with Vista install on it. If you did, try getting partition magic or use Vista Computer Management to shrink/resize the volume. All you need is around 40gig for Vista OS and the rest 280gig for storage. That way you don't lose all the data if you need to reinstall Vista.

I hope you didn't have just 1 partition for your 320gig with Vista install on it. If you did, try getting partition magic or use Vista Computer Management to shrink/resize the volume. All you need is around 40gig for Vista OS and the rest 280gig for storage. That way you don't lose all the data if you need to reinstall Vista.

He has 2 hard drives. Just needs to partition his second drive before formatting it like annaconda stated.

He has 2 hard drives. Just needs to partition his second drive before formatting it like annaconda stated.

Yeah I know that. I'm just talking about IF he install the OS in 1 partition on the 320gig which is a NO NO.

OK, Thanks everyone! Did it and it worked fine. Well, it's formating now.

I've always used two HD's and never partition either one. I install Windows and all my programs on one drive and then the second drive I use just for storage and backups. This way I can ghost the first drive (OS and programs) to the second drive and never have to re-install anything. Then I ghost the second drive to the first. Is this not a good way? It's always worked fine for me. I've heard with Vista Ultimate you can do this without using Ghost because Ultimate has this built into it. Is this correct or will I still need to use Ghost? Thanks again!

I haven't seen the need to partition a HDD in a while now. As inexpensive as drives are now, there is no reason to partition. Just back up to an external or internal drive, if you are afraid of loosing data.

New simple volume
That's exactly what you want. Disk management works the same as previous Windows versions. You have to create the volume before it is formatted.
Yeah I know that. I'm just talking about IF he install the OS in 1 partition on the 320gig which is a NO NO.
Why would that be a negative thing, especially since he's using a second drive? You definitely don't want to make your system volume too small, and there's no advantage to putting apps and games on another volume.

I haven't seen the need to partition a HDD in a while now. As inexpensive as drives are now, there is no reason to partition. Just back up to an external or internal drive, if you are afraid of loosing data.

That's exactly what you want. Disk management works the same as previous Windows versions. You have to create the volume before it is formatted.

Why would that be a negative thing, especially since he's using a second drive? You definitely don't want to make your system volume too small, and there's no advantage to putting apps and games on another volume.

Are you serious?? We are talking about 320gig here NOT 80gig. So what happen if something goes wrong and you decide to reinstall an OS if you only have just 320gig of partition C:? 40gig is more then enough for most games and programs. If you want more then make it 60gig.

Are you serious?? We are talking about 320gig here NOT 80gig. So what happen if something goes wrong and you decide to reinstall an OS if you only have just 320gig of partition C:? 40gig is more then enough for most games and programs. If you want more then make it 60gig.
You're own example is why you don't do it your way. If you have to reinstall, you are left with your data stored on the same drive as the OS...which, if you didn't configure your partitions properly, means you still need to offload the data from the drive. You are also forgetting about the fact that the Os volume should have tons of free space. You want a minimum of 30% free at all times for optimal performance. Considering I'm running Vista Ultimate right now using 24 GB, and I don't have System Restore enabled, nor do I have any games, or my video editing software loaded yet, even 60 GB is incredibly shortsighted. Single partitions on drives is still the simplest way to go, along with having a secondary drive for data storage. You need to update your rationale for Vista.

I made a mistake in trying to be too clever with partitioning when setting up my old Windows 2000 system. The system partition initially had plenty of free space, but various things insisted on putting files on the system partition, and it kept growing and growing until eventually it wouldn't install Windows Updates any more because there was so little free space left. You do not want to be stingy with a partition you put the OS on. I just created a single partition on this new machine.

Incidentally, System Restore might be turned off, but is Shadow Copy/Previous Versions? That will use up VSC space too.

Back