Vista with 8800 GTS and FX5500

Yacko

n00b
My current setup has a 8800GTS 512 for the primary video card and a FX 5500 as a secondary video card for the 3rd monitor (Heterogeneous Multi-adapter). Well I come to find out after upgrading to the 8800GTS that I Vista only allows you to use 1 driver for all video cards.

The article about this is Here (Microsoft.com)

So my question is how to get the video drivers to support both the 8800GTS and FX 5500? I have seen a few places where individuals have stated that you could modify the INF to include it but haven't seen any examples of how to do this, so if they are not can someone point me in the direction to make this modification?

I can't believe that Microsoft would change something that worked so well in XP and break it in Vista. But in the whole scheme of things it really doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

To modify the inf, extract the Nvidia Forceware package to a folder (Winrar works). Open nv4_disp.inf in notepad.

Under
Code:
[Manufacturer]
%NVIDIA% = NVIDIA.Mfg

[NVIDIA.Mfg]
add..
Code:
%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0326.1% = nv4_NV3x,                 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0326

And under
Code:
; Localizable Strings
add..
Code:
NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0326.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500"

And then run the setup program. Since your working with Vista and I haven't modified the inf for about 6 months, there might be more lines that need to be added if they've removed them or changed a few things. But in the past they've left all the variables intact except for the two lines (above) for each card.

Back