System:
Asus P5K Pro
E8400 @ stock
4gb G.Skill PC800
Geforce 8800GT
Seasonic S12-500

UPS is an older APC of some kind. Probably 2 years old

All at stock.

This started happening (obviously) after I plugged in the data cable from my UPS. I've done the following:
set sleep to "NEVER" for both plugged in and battery.
set advanced settings - critical battery action to hibernate, critical battery level to 30%
set advanced settings - low battery action to "do nothing", low battery level to 31%

I've keyed the event happening to my air conditioning kicking off - every once in a while when it does, you hear the UPS click over for a brief second. It even hibernated out from under me in use once when this happened.

The baffling thing is this - If I pull the plug from the wall, it DOES NOT HIBERNATE. That's right - the system keeps running, the battery starts to drain like normal, and everything is peachy (minus the screaming UPS alarm). It's just when it's a split-second drop or brown out. I'm going to test it with the UPS unplugged, but obviously I'd rather have the system know what's going on.

Any ideas?

Could it be something with the configuration of the UPS? From what you've said, it seems like the UPS is triggering the hibernation when it detects fluctuations in the power coming from the wall, which would explain why it doesn't do anything when you unplug it completely. All I can think of is that you missed a setting somewhere and that's what's causing it.

Could it be something with the configuration of the UPS? From what you've said, it seems like the UPS is triggering the hibernation when it detects fluctuations in the power coming from the wall, which would explain why it doesn't do anything when you unplug it completely. All I can think of is that you missed a setting somewhere and that's what's causing it.

any idea what setting it might be that would be different for a brown out vs a power failure? Ups has no software

I really wouldn't know as I personally don't have a UPS, although I figure such a setting would be somewhere within the power management settings in Windows. You could also try looking up the documentation for the UPS online and see if there's any info that could help you out.

Back