Vista transferrable across HDs right?

Just making sure. I plan to install it on an old 80gb I have and later on upgrade to a 150gb raptor, keeping all the other hardware the same. Will I have any problems changing HDs?

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue, no. Just use some drive copying software if possible, like the stuff usually included with hard drives (retail boxed ones, but you can usually download that software/utility from the manufacturer's site if you bought the OEM bare drive), or even use imaging software like Ghost or True Image.

True Image has a specific feature to do drive cloning in real-time for that purpose with no "in between" image creation necessary; it works drive-to-drive directly, with the appropriate modifications to the partition structures as you require, either keeping them exactly as the originals are/were, or modifying them proportionately based on the size of the new/old drive you're going to transfer the data to.

But a hard drive swap/changeout/upgrade shouldn't trigger any problems.

Just making sure. I plan to install it on an old 80gb I have and later on upgrade to a 150gb raptor, keeping all the other hardware the same. Will I have any problems changing HDs?

Thanks guys.

In WinXP the activation was a function of multiple variables, including the boot volume serial# and size. If too many of the ID factors changed during too short of a time period, the copy would require to be reactivated. If Vista uses a similar scheme (and I'd be surprised if it did not) then the answer to your question is a very sound "it depends".

In WinXP the activation was a function of multiple variables, including the boot volume serial# and size. If too many of the ID factors changed during too short of a time period, the copy would require to be reactivated. If Vista uses a similar scheme (and I'd be surprised if it did not) then the answer to your question is a very sound "it depends".

All I plan on changing is the hard drive though. Is that enough alteration to the ID factors you're talking about?

I don't even plan on transferring anything really. I'll keep any files I really need on an external HD, and do a clean install on the raptor once I get it.

You should be fine, even with an OEM copy. OEM Vista only starts getting iffy and requiring activation if you change the motherboard (which would be against the EULA you agreed to anyway) or enough components.

You should be fine, even with an OEM copy. OEM Vista only starts getting iffy and requiring activation if you change the motherboard (which would be against the EULA you agreed to anyway) or enough components.

Serious? Hmmm..i dont plan on chaning motherboard anytime soon....maybe i should get an OEM version?

Back