Vista on laptop....not running aero?

Ariez

Limp Gawd
I have a Dell laptop with integrated graphics and I just installed vista on it. Apparently I scored a 1.0 on the 3D graphics department and Aero isnt even running.

Now I know the laptop I have isnt a gaming laptop, but it does run 3D games just "fine". CS:S runs fairly well when I have XP. Now Microsoft is telling me I have a computer good enough to run CS:S but not good enough to run thier Aero theme?

:confused:

If the laptop's integrated graphics is DirectX9 compliant then check that you have enough RAM allocated to graphics.

If the laptop is not DX9 compliant then you should have run the Upgrade Advisor before installing Vista, to better inform yourself ;)

If the laptop's integrated graphics is DirectX9 compliant then check that you have enough RAM allocated to graphics.

If the laptop is not DX9 compliant then you should have run the Upgrade Advisor before installing Vista, to better inform yourself ;)

Yes it is DX9.

The Dell system is a XPS M140, and was a decent laptop 9 months ago.

Specs:

1.8ghz Centrino
60Gb HD
1GB RAM
The Graphics is integrated Intel.

Your lappy has an Intel GMA900. Support for that chip was scrapped, an there are no WDDM drivers for it to allow for the Aero interface. So pretty much you're stuck with The basic Vista look.

Your lappy has an Intel GMA900. Support for that chip was scrapped, an there are no WDDM drivers for it to allow for the Aero interface. So pretty much you're stuck with The basic Vista look.

What the fuck.

They just decide to NOT support it? I KNOW for a fact its good enough to run it because I can run 3D games just fine.

Fucking Intel.:mad:

On a gma900?

Do you mean you can play Quake 3 well?

Is a gma 900 even directx 9.0c compliant? It must be to run aero glass...

Hl2 and Counter Strike Source can easily be run on as crappy of machines as geforce 2's. My athlon 2500+ with 1 gig of ram and a 9600 pro runs with in with the highest settings in vista.

Hl2 and Counter Strike Source can easily be run on as crappy of machines as geforce 2's. My athlon 2500+ with 1 gig of ram and a 9600 pro runs with in with the highest settings in vista.

I know. The point is that it doesnt take a super computer to run Aero...yet this laptop cant run it. Intel will not release a driver for it to run it and im kinda pissed about that.

I know. The point is that it doesnt take a super computer to run Aero...yet this laptop cant run it. Intel will not release a driver for it to run it and im kinda pissed about that.

There's bound to be hacked drivers on the horizon.

easily run? a fx 5200 o/c;d like mad barely keeps me at 40FPS at 1024 x 768 with everything on low.

highest settings? at what res.... 1024?

How can you pissed about a graphics chip that was made before vista was available to the public, not able to run aero? as said you should of run the provided Vista system check before buying the OS instead of assuming, your own fault so be pissed at yourself.

How can you pissed about a graphics chip that was made before vista was available to the public, not able to run aero? as said you should of run the provided Vista system check before buying the OS instead of assuming, your own fault so be pissed at yourself.

I dont think you get it.

Its not that this chip CANT run aero. Intel just basically said "Screw you, we wont make a driver that ALLOW you to run aero".

ahhh, k, then my bad, i apologies.

figured it was more along the lines of it just couldnt run it for some reason.

was the 900 series the one intel scrapped in order to give support to the 945G chipset instead?

ahhh, k, then my bad, i apologies.

figured it was more along the lines of it just couldnt run it for some reason.

was the 900 series the one intel scrapped in order to give support to the 945G chipset instead?

By reading the compliants on forums using google thats exactly what intel is doing.

They basically scrapped all support for the 900 in order to focus on the 945. The 900 is more than capable than running aero glass...just need an updated driver which intel will not release.

Im sure they might be a hacked driver for it, but how long do I have to wait? And how can i follow it?

Back