Vista Media Center, where art thou?

deduce

n00b
Well my Vista Media Center seems to have gone missing. Whenever I click on the Media Center Quick Launch icon, nothing happens. I could click it a dozen times and all I get is a quick twirl of the mouse then nothing.

I've hunted down the ehshell.exe in the Windows folder to see if I could manually start it but it doesn't do anything. ehtray.exe is running in the background but what I can tell can't help me much. I've tried turning off UAC. I even attempted to "Run as Admin" but since it's part of the Vista OS it won't let me.

I'm hoping someone has experienced this since it's new to me.

Not sure if this is much help, but have you installed another media program recently? If so, it *may* have disabled Windows Media Center.

Regardless, look in the CP Default Programs. You should be able to at see if is disabled (or enabled) there.

Yeah I had Windows default all programs back to Microsoft products. Media Center is set as the default program to run DVDs, but when I put the DVD in it doesn't load. The only thing I tried installing recently was an ATI 650 tuner card since some new drivers were released.

I'm going to try a Windows Repair Install and see if it fixes anything..

You think maybe it's not Vista, but rather the DVD being encrypted not to run on your computer?

Try SlySoft AnyDVD to bypass that encryption.

Just a guess. I don't have Vista myself yet. Not all DVD play nice with XP either without AnyDVD.

Back