vista issue.... downloading... and buffer overrun and c++ editor..

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
it seems.. everytime when I am trying to either download something it just pauses and stops at 99% and not finishing downloading...

and I get a lot of buffer error overrun and then the ms c++ editor would open up... whats going on?? :confused:

I installed it ok..
and then when it does work

I get errors of

error 0x800704c8: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

Most browsers (by most I mean Firefox and Internet Explorer) do not download the file directly to where you specify, they either 1. (Firefox) Create a temporary file in the destination directory or 2. (Internet Explorer) download the file to a temporary directory and then move it.

So, I see a couple of potential problems here.

Are you trying to save the file directly to any kind of removable storage device? i.e. a USB flash drive, external hard drive, mapped network drive, etc? If so, choose to save the file instead to a local, permanent storage device (My Documents, the C:\ drive, etc.) and see if that corrects the problem.

Is there anti-virus software running? Try downloading a file (please, a TRUSTED site and TRUSTED file) with the AV software disabled or turned off. Did that fix the problem?

I have no idea about the C++ error / debugger. If you're using IE and getting that error, try Firefox and see what happens.

The reason I am leaning towards the removable disk / AV software being the issue is that I ran into this issue the other day. I was transferring files to my new USB 2.0 external hard drive... the file transfer completed and I could see the files there. I went to "safely disconnect mass storage device" and I got the user mapped error you mentioned. It turned out that the anti-virus software on my machine was still busy scanning the newly created copied files. I killed off the anti-virus software and was then able to remove the external drive. So in this case, I think it's happening to you because immediately after the download completes (you have the whole file from the website) but before the dialogue box reaches 100%, the browser is either trying to rename / copy the file to it's correct name, or move the file from the temporary internet files directory to the directory where you chose to save the file.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

thanks snake..

actually, whenever I am trying to save something I am saving it on my desktop first aka c:/local drive

the thing is.. yeah I am using IE... I am also using avg anti virus currently... I am thinking about using the norton corp that comes with my work/school package.. I wondering if I can use the norton corp? that is for xp...

and the thing is.. yesterday.. I accidently pressed the stand by mode on vista.. now I am unable to see/local any of my external drives.. and the weird things is.... I no longer get power/power lights on all my external drives!!!!!
what the heck is up with vista... :confused::mad:... ugh..

Back