Vista installed smoothly, found a problem, please help!!!

rkf76

Limp Gawd
I finally booted up the rig in my sig and installed Vista with no problems. I was in the process of installing the drivers for my hardware from their respective cd's but the one for my Samsung Monitor and my video card are not compatible with Vista so I'd need to download them from the net, no biggie.......until I attempted to connect to the net. It wouldn't do so. I went to the device manager and didn't see my DSL modem showing up in there so I dug a little deeper and seen the issue is that the drivers weren't installed for the modem. I then grabbed the cd that came with the modem and attempted to run it so I could install the drivers but it too is not compatible with Vista. I then called AT&T and they confirmed they do indeed have a different disc for Vista but she also said she could help me install it manually so we gave it a shot. The result of that call was her telling me my computer does not have a NIC card installed which was proven by not seeing "Network adapters" in the device manager. Furthermore, Vista stated I may not be seeing any devices in "Network adapters" due to "Network Discovery" being set to off, which it was, so I attempted to turn it on but when I did so it didn't prompt me for the admin password and just went back to the screen that shows the network sharing settings, network discovery was still off.

Is there another setting that I have to change in order to turn network discovery on? I am the only user on the rig right now and am the admin, of course. Does Vista have to "see" the DSL modem before I can turn that setting on?

I'm under the impression the reason I can't connet to the net is because I need to install the software/drivers from that disc that comes from AT&T. But why is it that I can't turn network discovery on? And does that have anything to do with the problem?

*UPDATE*

*puts flame suit on*

Do I need to install the drivers/utilities that came with my mobo?

Before you start telling me how stupid I am, this is the very first time I have ever built a rig from the ground up and also the very first time I have ever done a full install of an OS so please, be gentle.

Once the rig POST'ed, I entered the CMOS and set it to boot from the optical drive, enabled LAN controller and disabled the Audio controller since I later installed my X-Fi Audio card. I then began the Vista install and once that was done then I began to install all compatible drivers for my hardware/software, totally forgetting about my mobo drivers. I guess I figured since everything was working that there wasn't a need.

I will connect the new rig back up and install the mobo drivers/utilities and then see what happens. I feel like such a noob:eek:

Yeah, you would have to install the drivers for the onboard LAN. That may be all you need to do. I then have to set up my TCP/IP settings because I use a static private IP address instead of DHCP, but just get the drivers installed and see what happens before I bother explaining that.

The DSL modem won't show up in Device Manager, and there are no drivers for it because it is an external device that operates independently from the computer. It's essentially another computer.

It's usually a good idea to load the motherboard's chipset drivers before any other system drivers. The safest bet is to always download all the latest drivers for all your hardware first, and put them on something like a CD or a USB Thumb drive for quick, offline access. The driver CDs that come with your hardware are usually outdated by the time you open the box. All-in-all, it sounds like you simply need to load your NIC drivers at this point however.

Thanks guys for not flaming me, haha. I hope loading those drivers takes care of this for me, besides that everything is working fine. Then once I get get online I can download the drivers I need and then get all my Windows Updates..............actually, I'll d/l the drivers now and put them on a cd so I can do that w/o having to get online on the new rig just yet.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Now that your suite is off.. Muhahhahhaaa.!!
smiley_flamethrower.gif

You guys were right! I just needed to load the drivers from the disc that came with my mobo. Once I did that I got online and downloaded the most current drivers for everything including my chipset and Windows Updates. Once I installed all the drivers I installed the Windows updates and everything is running and looking good.

Back