Vista home premium upgrade question

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
i bought Vista premium upgrade tonight at bestbuy . I am using it right now i really like it
compared to Xp. It feels like iam taking advantage of my hardware.Anyways when i first tried to install vista i wanted to do a clean install or upgrade from xp like the manuel even states that you can do a clean install but when i went to enter the cdkey it kept saying i had to install from xp. i really don't understand this at all. Then when i installed it from xp it said i couldn't upgrade from xp and it did some kinda customize install where it just installed vista and put xp in a windows.old folder on my hd. so i thought maybe someone could tell me what the hell is going on ??

well figured why the hell does it say in the manuel you can do a clean install ?
i thought maybe you would just need to enter the cdkey or cd of your copy of XP during vista installation ?

well figured why the hell does it say in the manuel you can do a clean install ?
i thought maybe you would just need to enter the cdkey or cd of your copy of XP during vista installation ?
The customize install is a clean install. Just delete the Windows.old folder and you're good to go.

You can do a clean install of any Vista upgrade edition, it just takes a bit of "going around" the standard methodology.

The most common method is provided here, as made more simple to comprehend by Catweazle, one of the regulars around here:

http://www.techwrighter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=27

I kinda took that methodology (which he found elsewhere and condensed to make it more easy to accomplish) and then refined even his method to the point where it doesn't require disabling UAC and it doesn't require a reboot, actually.

Give his method a shot, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied in the long run. Just make sure you focus on backing up the data from your XP installation before making that final step to wipe the drive/partition clean for Vista.

Good luck...

ps
I posted this in the dupe thread, then realized this was the same thing just duped, sooo...

Back