Vista Firewall and ICS troubles

christpunchers

Limp Gawd
I have Vista x64 Ultimate installed on this rig with SP1 and all the latest security fixes and other things updated.

Just recently I've noticed that I'm unable to run Windows firewall. I've played around with all the settings in the control panel and in security center. Everytime I try to start the Firewall it gives me "Windows is unable to start Firewall service".

I've enabled all the essential services using services.msc but it always gives me an error saying it won't start along with error code 6801.

Google has not really turned up anything useful and I've tried many solutions to this problem but it just doesn't go away. Anyone know what might be going on? I can't start Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) either. Can the firewall be repaired or re-installed in any way?

did you add any firewall software recently? if so could that new software have turned off windows firewall? some 3rd party software doesnt like other firewall services running at same time. i googled the error but got a few different possibilities on the problem

No, other than Spybot S&D, of which I only use the scanning mode and immunize mode and NOT the resident shield, I have no other anti-virus suite or any other 3rd party firewall software. I'll post some stuff from the event viewer once I get a chance.

PS. this problem is really screwing up my bittorrent. I think, for some odd reason, all my ports are blocked off now that I have no firewall running. Where as before once I've set my router to open a port and my torrent program to use that port I'll be fine, now no matter what port I try it still isn't working.

Okay when I go into "Administrative Tools", then go into Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, it gives me this message:

"There was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in

The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9."

In event viewer, under window logs > security, I've found this:

"The Windows Firewall Service has been stopped."

"The Windows Firewall Service was unable to retrieve the security policy from the local storage. The service will continue enforcing the current policy.

Error Code: 2147949201"

"The Windows Firewall Service was unable to parse the new security policy. The service will continue with currently enforced policy.

Error Code: 2147949201"

Also found this, not sure if it's relevant,

"A logon was attempted using explicit credentials.

Subject:
Security ID: i7Rig\i7
Account Name: i7
Account Domain: i7Rig
Logon ID: 0x333be
Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Account Whose Credentials Were Used:
Account Name: Guest
Account Domain: i7Rig
Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Target Server:
Target Server Name: localhost
Additional Information: localhost

Process Information:
Process ID: 0x6c4
Process Name: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Network Information:
Network Address: -
Port: -

This event is generated when a process attempts to log on an account by explicitly specifying that account’s credentials. This most commonly occurs in batch-type configurations such as scheduled tasks, or when using the RUNAS command."

Back