Vista audio urgent help

Nielo TM

Gawd
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
997
Hey guys

Would adjusting the “Audio Share Mode” under the advanced tab in speaker properties cause the system to hand/crash?

For those who don’t know, click on Control panel > Sound > Speakers properties >Advanced

Thing is, I’ve been experiencing some problems where at times; the PC will just freeze/hang when using multimedia applications. I’ve tried using both Vista x64 and Vista x86 with SP1 but ended up with the same results. I’ve updated all the drivers but I did chance the audio share mode value to maximum (24bit, 192,000 Hz Studio Quality from 16bit, 48,000 Hz DVD-Quality.

If you guys know of fix, please let me know as soon as possible.



Here’s my full system spec:

  • Motherboard: (Media Series) DP35DP with the latest drivers from Intel
  • GPU: ATI HD3650 with CCC 8.3 (Unfortunately, it come with HDMI audio driver, which Vista installs during OS installation)
  • Audio: X-Fi with the latest March 08 drivers. I’ve also installed the latest console launcher.

PS: SP1 didn't show up automatically in Windows update, and I did a manual install. I know creative have problems with Audigy cards, but what about X-Fi XtremeMusic cards? Are they on the same boat too?
 
Could you guys at least describe the function of "Vista's Audio Share mode"? And could is cause system instability of configured incorrectly?
 
I have a X-Fi XM and SP1 installed fine with it.

Have you tried uninstalling the X-Fi and using the onboard sound to see if you still have the problem?
 
That's the next plan.

I've fully recoverd the PC without SP1 to see if the problem can be replicated. I've also reverted back to ATI CCC 8.2 and kept the audio shared mode at default. I did exprence audio corruption when uisng WinDVD9 at times. And PowerDVD 7 Ultra had problem playing back MPEG-2 files in software mode. It also showed green mask over the right-half of the image clicking on the play icon.

However, PowerDVD 7 version 8113 seems to work fine and it seems more responceive as well.


Looks like I may have two sets of problems, ATI driver and Creative driver. Now it's just matter of finding out which one.
 
Removing the driver completely will mean Windows has to use the standard VGA driver which is 640x480, very low quality. The instructions below are for if you want to remove the current driver and install the latest driver.

Download ATI Catalyst 8.3 for Vista 32bit from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...common-vista32

Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager. Click the [+] next to Display Adapters, right click the graphics card entry and select Uninstall.

Close down all windows and programs. Reboot and keep tapping F8 while the computer is starting until you see the Advanced Options menu. Select VGA mode. When Windows has finished loading, the display will look strange. This is only temporary while using the standard VGA driver. Disable your antivirus and install the new driver. Reboot to complete.

Note: If you decide to install just the driver, you can use ATI Tray Tools which does basically the same job as the Catalyst Control Center, but uses less system resources.

Taken from http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...ista-keeps-freezing-randomly.html#post1383236

I may actually give this a go as well
 
This maybe my fault. Apparently the X-Fi chip only supports maximum of 96 KHz 24bits @ 5.1. I wasn't aware of this until few days ago lol.

My system seems to be working in stable conduction for the moment. I haven't altered the audio share mode configuration yet. I'll keep using the PC at current state and monitor it for few weeks. Then I’ll ramp the audio share to 192 KHz to see if the problem reoccurs.
 
Back
Top