Vista and UDMA

Claw5

Limp Gawd
Sorry- I seem to have screwed up my previous post.:(
Okay so I've taken the plunge into Vista. (Home Premium)
Aside from not having backed up all of my XP files (I thought I did), it seems to be pretty cool.
I don't really find the UAC too annoying, but maybe that's because I've only been using it for a few days.
The question I have is that in device manager, my SATA drives are showing as running UDMA mode 2.
Shouldn't the hard drives be at least UDMA 5?
I've got a 36GB Raptor, a 300GB DiamondMax, and a 500GB Seagate.
Is this just a bug in the way device manager is reporting my drives? :confused:

Thanks.

Might be due to the interface used in your PC and the way Vista works with it (ie. slightly diff to XP).

With modern mainboards the SATA interface can operate either in legacy mode (acts like IDE) or as AHCI/RAID.

On my computer I've set the BIOS to the latter (AHCI) and you don't get any info about UDMA mode in Device Manager at all. As an aside my genuine IDE interface (Jmicron, not the Intel chipset) does show my optical drives as UDMA Mode 5.

Maybe somebody can confirm?

Meanwhile, have you tried software like SANDRA or Everest and seen what they say?

for the first poster, I would think your hardrive should be UDMA 6 as most satas are UDMA 6 and IDE drives that are ata 100 are UDMA 5 and ata 133 are UDMA 6 and sata drives are usually 6 due to them being faster than ATA.

the second dude, I would think that your optical drive unless its a sata optical drive should be UDMA 2, why its 5 I really dont know ? unless its sata I cannot figure it out.

Yeah- I'll try loading some diagnostic software like Sandra to see what it comes up with.

the second dude, I would think that your optical drive unless its a sata optical drive should be UDMA 2, why its 5 I really dont know ? unless its sata I cannot figure it out.

CD/DVD drives typically only need UDMA 2 speeds, however modern drives are higher rated than that for compatibility reasons: when you connect 2 drives to an IDE cable then they revert to the slowest mode, hence why an UDMA 5 DVD-ROM is advantageous when pairing with a harddisk.

Back