a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
no, not unless there is a program that will let you do it. but i may have a work around.

i dont know how it will work if you already have files on the media drive.

if you go into computer management >storage>disk management. select the disk that has your media and right click it,you should have a "change drive letters and paths" option hit that and then hit change, and it should give you the option to "mount the drive as a ntfs folder" mine is grayed out, i suspect that you have to do this from a fresh format. however, if you mount the drive to an ntfs folder (i havent tryed this to confirm it) i beleave that disk will no longer show up in my computer. so, now it only looks like you have 1 disk. go though one at a time, and select and right click>properties, the root files and folders on you main disk and simply check the box that says hidden. they are still there, if you directly type in the address into the explorer bar you have access to them (likewise dos prompt) but they wont be seen (unless you have the option to show hidden files and folders checked in folder options in control panels) your other programs (aside from low level defraggers and virus scanners) shouldnt see them ( the option to install for example to program files, may not be there, again i havent tried it).

i dont know how this would affect recovery if either disk where to fail. the drive that was mounted, dose it retain a basic drive letter and file structure? dunno... if the mft is stored on both disks it should be fine, but if it is only stored on the main disk, the files are there, but as far as the system is concerned, they would be considered deleted (it would seem stupid to do it like this... but you never know)

now, the only question would be how to make it mount without having to format...

You can change explorer to default to a different directory or drive, not sure if this is what you want exactly but here's how to do it :

Click Start, point to Programs, then Accessories, then right–click Windows Explorer, and click Properties.

Under Target field, which reads %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe, add to make the line read %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, /select, C:\

Change C:\ to whatever drive/directory you want explorer to default to.

violator, this worked. thanks for the simple solution.

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, D:\

now if i only can change the background color from white to a darker color.

Glad it works for you :). As far as changing the background colour goes, try this :

Click the "Start" menu on the desktop and click the "Control Panel."

Click "Appearance and Personalization" and click "Personalization." Click "Window Colour and Appearance" and select the toolbar colour you want.

Click the "Open classic appearance properties for more color options" link to change the Windows Explorer background colour. Click the "Advanced" tab and select "Window" on the "Item" box. Click the "Colour 1" button and select the colour you want to use for Windows Explorer. Click "OK" to save the changes and click "OK" again.

Click the "Start" menu and click "Computer" to launch Windows Explorer. You should see your new background colour.

violator, i tried that, and unfortunately, it doesn't work with windows vista aero. when i do that with windows classic theme, it makes the text in some programs unreadable (even with contrasting text color).

Yep you're right it doesn't work under Aero, sorry!. Seems you'd need a 3rd party app to change it and keep Aero running.

Yep you're right it doesn't work under Aero, sorry!. Seems you'd need a 3rd party app to change it and keep Aero running.

and for that, get vista glazz, and go cruze around for custom vista themes. (interfacelift deviantart, and the likes)

Back