vista 64 install question

t0mmyr

[H]ard|Gawd
so i know vista is pretty smart at managing memory and i was wondering if it would be beneficial to reinstall after a format vista 64 if im going to add an extra 4gb of ram (currently have 4 so would then be running 8gb after it comes via ups)...

or is vista smart enough catch the upgrade and adjust itself for double the good ram and save me the effort of reinstalling windows?

Go ahead and put the memory in, vista64 will have no problems recognizing the extra memory. No need to reinstall.

You didn't really have to reinstall Windows in the past for a memory upgrade. That's why memory has always been one of the quickest, painless, and most effective upgrades you can do. Assuming the OS supports the amount of memory, which Vista x64 does, you'll have no issues just popping it in and booting the PC up.

i know memory is a very simple upgrade and know vista will recognize it as soon as i add it but i was just curious if vista might install itself differently, as if optimized for 8gb of ram if i installed the os when all 8gb were in...or if it didnt really change a thing

i know memory is a very simple upgrade and know vista will recognize it as soon as i add it but i was just curious if vista might install itself differently, as if optimized for 8gb of ram if i installed the os when all 8gb were in...or if it didnt really change a thing
The only thing it's going to do is see 8GB is available and keep on caching with SuperFetch until all 8 is full. Otherwise, it operates no differently. Since SuperFetch is an automatic service, there is no required changes by you that need to be made. But you won't notice any performance increase over 4GB though, unless your running applications like Video Rendering that want 4 or 8 GB.

cool. thanks so now i know vista will run same with 4gb added to 4gb and no reinstall

Back