Vista 64 install issues black screen hang on restart

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
I reinstalled vista 64 and during the part of the install where files are being expanded then all are installed under it, and then the computer needs to restart then the computer goes to black screen with a cursor in the top left hand corner and the pc just stays there and everything turns of like keyboard and mouse, and then i have to hit reset...

I have to reinstall like 3 or 4 times to get to restart properly.

Anyone ever had this problem?

I guess i sound a bit overwhelmed but im stepping out the door in a few seconds and im very frustrated with it all but i know ill get some feedback that will get my system back in order.

Come on someone is bound to have this problem....

Pls this is really bad for me i dont know if windows was installed correctly or not.

This happens also when i try to install windows updates. When windows update wants me to restart to install the updates, after it says "windows is configuring your system or something or other" it goes straight into a black screen with a line _ cursor in the top left hand corner.

This happens also with installing video drivers and audigy 2/x-fi drivers.

I have to reset the computer when it hangs like this, the hardware and software says it installed correctly and the hardware works but i dont know if this will cause any problems.

So pls anyone help.

is your system overclocked?

I had a similar problem, but it was caused by a usb memory stick being left in the port. for whatever reason, Windows didn't like that, and did pretty much exactly what you describe. Oddly enough, removing the memory stick allowed it to continue to boot normally. So now when I reboot, I just make sure I don't have that memory stick plugged into the usb port.

No im not overclocking.

This has been happening for quite awhile now.

No usb stick also

Back