vista 64 home basic

Bump, I would like to know to. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on Vista for a while. I need the 64 bit Home as well.

edit, even though it doesn't have AERO, it's UI is apparently still accelerated using video memory and DX9 shaders.

Cool. Go for it if you aren't looking for the funky glass GUI or Media Center.

You probably wont find it much cheaper. That's a pretty standard price, although google shopping shows one quite a bit cheaper. http://www.google.com/products?q=home+basic+OEM&btnG=Search+Products&show=dd

for the 32bit, the 64 bit can be found cheaper but I don't trust the no name sites. I got the media center XP, and did not once used it. I used third parties as they worked better. the only reason I am going vista at all is for the driver for my monitor. couldn't getting anything else.

foogle came up with some, but like I said they were no name and I would think that they are going to get you on the shipping or not legit.

Have you checked to see if windows feedback panel has anymore free vista giveaways for participating? I had zero intention of buying vista but did the feedback panel anyway. Now I have two copies of vista just sitting here waiting for me to add 2 more gigs of memory and get a bigger hard drive.

If you're willing to wait, I'd say participating in the feedback panel is the way to go.

for the 32bit, the 64 bit can be found cheaper but I don't trust the no name sites. I got the media center XP, and did not once used it. I used third parties as they worked better. the only reason I am going vista at all is for the driver for my monitor. couldn't getting anything else.

That's a crap reason for switching to a really shitty OS.

Have you checked to see if windows feedback panel has anymore free vista giveaways for participating? I had zero intention of buying vista but did the feedback panel anyway. Now I have two copies of vista just sitting here waiting for me to add 2 more gigs of memory and get a bigger hard drive.

If you're willing to wait, I'd say participating in the feedback panel is the way to go.

http://wfp.microsoft.com said:
As of January 23, 2008, the Windows Feedback Program is temporarily closing enrollment for new participants. Because our customers have been so responsive, we have reached full capacity for this program. We don't have a definite date when we will re-open the program for enrollment. Please email [email protected] if you are interested in being notified when we open for enrollment again.

Seems to be over.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116200

this is an old deal but I am looking at having to get vista for a number of reasons. really don't want it (xp works fine outside of not getting drivers) so I am looking to make this as painless as possible. is this the best deal I can get on it?

Microcenter is selling Vista Home Premium x86 & x64 OEM versions for $79.99.

Link: http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0289214

Order it through them and enjoy Vista that's even $10 cheaper.

I'd buy an upgrade version of Home Premium and then pay MS 10 bucks for the 64 bit disk.
As I recall, you can do a clean install with x64 under virtually all circumstances.....better licensing terms and a better version of the oS....probably cost you an extra 10 bucks total.

I'd look at Amazon.com, as they typically have the cheapest price on retail copies of home premium

Vista 64 isn't that bad provided you have a good CPU and 4Gb of RAM. In fact, with a good machine, UAC disabled, and SP1 installed, I actually prefer it.

Vista 64 isn't that bad provided you have a good CPU and 4Gb of RAM. In fact, with a good machine, UAC disabled, and SP1 installed, I actually prefer it.

I don't get the point in disabling UAC. Doing that, effectively removes most of the added security that comes with vista. It makes far more sense to use task scheduler (search Ed Bott's blog on ZDnet for "taming UAC" for instructions) and the Program Compatibility Wizard (go here for more info).

It won't stop all problems, but it eliminates most of them for me, aside from when I'm installing stuff or doing some admin related things. If you find yourself doing that alot, you could always set up an admin account specifically for that purpose and just use it for admin duties...then use your normal account for everything else.

UAC is a pain when setting up/configuring, but in day to day usage, it's almost invisible.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just the upgrade disc right?

No, that should be the full OEM version.

Keep in mind that it's tied to your motherboard when you register, but there are ways around that if you get a new MB.

No, that should be the full OEM version.

Keep in mind that it's tied to your motherboard when you register, but there are ways around that if you get a new MB.

lulz, I have Vista 64 premium and have used it on 4 different mobos (upgraded and reinstalled on same PC). I laugh at you unknowledge of this and the fact that you will post it makes me blush

Just to point it out to the clueless OP, Microcenter had a deal going through the 10th of August that you could buy Windows Vista Home Premium OEM x64 & x86 for $79.99.

I have no idea why you guys would miss that buy it's not my problem anymore.

Have fun with a legacy OS OP.

lulz, I have Vista 64 premium and have used it on 4 different mobos (upgraded and reinstalled on same PC). I laugh at you unknowledge of this and the fact that you will post it makes me blush

I DID say that there were ways around it... :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just the upgrade disc right?

It doesn't really matter, however, since you can't do an upgrade from 32 to 64...it's always a full install. What's more, you can always install without a key, then install it again as an upgrade with your key. That's been in there since day one, and MS hasn't changed it, despite the fact that it was widely publicized.

It doesn't really matter, however, since you can't do an upgrade from 32 to 64...it's always a full install. What's more, you can always install without a key, then install it again as an upgrade with your key. That's been in there since day one, and MS hasn't changed it, despite the fact that it was widely publicized.

Well I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to install XP first then upgrade it to Vista.

Thanks

Well I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to install XP first then upgrade it to Vista.

Thanks

Nope....though if you have an old HD with XP on it, it'd be easier to do the install (you'd still install vista on a new drive).

Does anyone know if this is the best deal going around for Vista Home Premium 64? I tried Newegg, ZipzoomFly and Fry's.

Total after Tax and Shipping is: $92.86

Back