Vista & 2 Sets Of Dual Channel RAM

arcsum68

Limp Gawd
After much troubleshooting, and help from [H], I figured out that I need to remove 3 of my 4 dimms to get Vista to even install. Problem is it wont even run with all 4 in, it will just lock up no matter how they are installed.
Runs perfect using either of the sets, but not both together.
Any ideas on how to get past that?

For the record, this runs flawlessly on XP.

This is for my Media Center PC

DFI Infinity NF4 SLI Latest BIOS
AMD 929 3800x2
4 Sticks of Mushkin Blue Line (512)
7900GS

I think thats all thats relative, but if anything can help, please let me know.

Thanks

memtest86 would be a good place to start. Run it overnight to exclude the RAM as the culprit.

I have run memtest, not all night, but through a couple cycles and all was well.

I have had this ram for awhile now, at least a year, and it has been working flawlessly in XP Media Center.

No problems until Vista. Each pair works fine individually as well, but as soon as both pairs are in, the PC will freeze within 10mins of being on.

The only reason I bring it up is Vista does a lot more with RAM (SuperFetch etc), than XP which could be the source of the fault.

The only reason I bring it up is Vista does a lot more with RAM (SuperFetch etc), than XP which could be the source of the fault.

Worth a shot for sure, they have a lifetime warranty, so I will have to check that out.

Turns out its my mobo, got some different ram, and its doing the same thing.

:(

Bummer since its a "brand new" board that dfi sent me on an rma.

Guess I need to deal with them again.

if your trying to run 1t command rate,my asus board crashes locks up with 4 sticks and 1t,but worked flawlessly with 2t

Yea thats a limitation of the memory controller on the 939 chips.

You have 2 choices pretty much for running 4 sticks. Either lower the command rate to 2T or drop the ram to 333 and run 1T..

The only board I am aware of that got past this limitation was the DFI SLI-DR Expert and Venus. Now sure how they did it, but I do remember it being one of its selling points. You might want to look into picking one up for this purpose.

They can run 4 sticks at DDR-400 1T

Check for BIOS updates.

BIOS is as up to date as possible, and now that I think about it, this system ran perfectly fine with 4 sticks and Windows XP. My previous Asus A8V Deluxe ran perfectly fine with same 4 sticks for a year. So I guess I dont think theres a problem with my board, unless it only relates to having Vista installed.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Back