VisiontTek Xtasy 9800 PRO 256 MB DDR AGP $217.88 w/ free shipping

Deal Svengali

Limp Gawd
Amazon has a great deal on the VisiontTek Xtasy 9800 PRO 256 MB DDR AGP (VGA TV out, DVI) on sale for

List Price: $499.99
Price: $217.88 with free shipping and no tax in most states
You Save: $282.11 (56%)

I know the deal's dead, but I was wodnering if anybody knows if this card has the mounting holes around the sides of the core. I have a waterblock, and I need those holes. Ideas?

Holy crap, they actually sell this things for $483.99!!:eek: :eek: That's rediculously over priced (when it's NOT on sale)

I ordered it yesterday, but from my experience with amazon.com in the past. They'll probably end up charging me $483.99 without even telling me that the price was a mistake.

yeah i never ordered anything from amazon before, i printed out the invoice and it says 217. do u think they'll charge me 217 or the 400?

Originally posted by bizzy420
do u think they'll charge me 217 or the 400?
I'm betting on neither.

They'll probably say, "Oops, we screwed up. Would you like it at the new price? No? Ok, order cancelled."

I came SO CLOSE to ordering that one, too.

The confirmation email is automated. So it doesn't really hold much weight.

I called them today because when you goto the item description, it says that it's no longer in stock and is discontinued.

They told me that they don't know if and when they're going to get it.

Please no one else call or e-mail them I am begging you. I orderd one and dont want them thinking they did somthing wrong to the point where they start rethinking things and do infact cancel orders.Shhhhhhh.:p

Well, i didn't call them regarding the price. And trust me, they're not that careless to sell it at that price by "mistake". I'm sure if the pricing was indeed an error, they'll email you at the last minute and tell you that they're sorry, and if you don't want it anymore they'll cancel it.

Or better yet, they might not even get 'em at all. And your estimated shipping date will keep getting pushed back until mid/end may or so. Then they'll finally cancel your order because they didn't get any in stock...

Well, none of these may happen and we might actually get those cards at the initial great price. but I'm just speaking from my experiences with Amazon.com.

I bought a book from them 2002 november. It said on the website that it's in stock and will ship within 24 hours. After 2 weeks it still didn't ship, but it still said in stock. So I called them up and they tell me that it's in backorder from the publisher... I waited another 2 weeks to no avail. I called them again, still backordered.. I got fed up and called the publisher, and they told me that the books were shipped out to it's vendors a long time ago...... I finally received the book at the end of January 03.

If they screw me over again, I definitely learned my lesson. I'll never deal with them again.. :p

ive never had a problem w/ amazon, they are great...everything ive ordered from them comes real quick (basically ive gotten a couple netgear routers and few other misc items)

Yeah, I have seen amazon recall deals that only had 20 dollar difference....200 dollars is not going to be overlooked.

I saw on another site that they told somebody that they may honor the first 300 or so orders. Then another person called and they where told something different. It's just going to have to be a wait and see game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not getting my hopes up to high either.

- Zych

well, they're slowly starting to go down the list and cancelling the orders.

They haven't cancelled mine yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be soon. Amazon is retarded.

Welp, I just checked and mine's GONE. Not cancelled, not backordered, just gone. No cancellation email yet, but it's gone. Sigh. Damn Amazon.

Originally posted by Stealth5325
Welp, I just checked and mine's GONE. Not cancelled, not backordered, just gone. No cancellation email yet, but it's gone. Sigh. Damn Amazon.

Yep same here. Bastids! Hey danny can you pm me there number so I can chew them out please.:mad:

Did you honestly think that you were going to get this card for over 50% off. You all knew that it was a pricing mistake, and you're making a big deal about the fact that they cancelled your order on which they would have lost over $100??? :confused:

Sure, pricing errors happen sometimes. And sometimes you're lucky and the company will say "fine we'll give you the thing for the advertised price, even though it was an error." Other times the company will say forget it we don't want to sell you that item for that price.

I'm sure if you go looking on their site, in one of the legal documents it will say something like "not responsible for pricing errors"

[/rant] :)

Email from Amazon.com

Greetings from Amazon.com.

It has come to our attention that we have no more units of "VisiontTek Xtasy 9800 PRO 256 MB DDR AGP (VGA TV out, DVI)" in stock. As there are no longer any units available, and we have no plans of carrying this item in the future, it has been cancelled from your order.

Please note that our supply of popular items is often limited and some products sell out quickly. We are very sorry that we were unable to fulfill your order before our supply ran out.

Your credit card has not been charged for the item, as our policy is to charge for items at the time of shipment.

Again, we are very sorry for any disappointment this has caused.
Please know that we value your business and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com Customer Service
www.amazon.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Amazon.com Customer care number:

(800) 201-7575

Fax:
(206) 266-2950

I freakin' hate amazon. They make way too much careless mistakes. They should make a law that will force the retailers to sell at their advertised price no matter what they say on the disclaimer. What a horrible company.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted by enyceexdanny
I freakin' hate amazon. They make way too much careless mistakes. They should make a law that will force the retailers to sell at their advertised price no matter what they say on the disclaimer. What a horrible company.

Let's say that you had your own company, and you sold stuff to people (like amazon for example). Now imagine having a website with 1000's upon thousands of products. There is not going to be one guy sitting there typing in the prices for all of the products. You would hire a whole bunch of regular guys to do that kind of stuff. Human nature says that we make mistakes. Not every price typed in will be correct, and would be impossible for you to double-check every price. That's why you would have a disclaimer on your website saying that you cannot be responsible for pricing errors because it would be ludicrous for you to sell an item to hundreds of people for a loss totaling 10's of thousands of dollars. ($100 loss per card for example x 100's of people buying it.)

Try looking at it from their perspective.

True, it said it was $217. But you guys all knew that it retailed at other places for $300-$400. Unless there was some advertised sale or special clearance, amazon is NOT going to give away items with a purchase price that high for over 50% off. IT would be a terrible business decision to do so.

Please note that I don't love amazon or anything like that (by the way, all my experiences have been positive so far), but I just think it's crazy that you guys are going crazy over something that just seems so rational for amazon to do...

:rolleyes:

I am not going crazy over this incident. As I stated before, all the 3 times I've dealt with amazon turned out horrible. I understand that companies do make mistakes with pricing and all, but because of my past experiences with them I'm a bit more critical this time.

Even before this, I always thought amazon was a horrible company. Honestly, taking 3 months to ship out a book that they claimed was in stock. How about a month and a half to get credit refunded into your account? My seagate drive in my sig was ordered from them since it was a pretty low price. That too said it was in stock and will ship within 24h. But after 2 weeks it still didn't ship. I called them up everyday for about another 2 weeks. One person tells me that it has shipped out already. I ask for tracking number, but they say that they don't know - but assures me that it's at UPS. So I wait... wait... wait.... about another 3 days or so. I call them back, they tell me that it never shipped and they don't know what's going on. I ask them how they do not know such a thing. They tell me to just wait a bit longer...... 2 days later, my credit card gets charged again, but the item still hasn't shipped and is no where in sight. After much fighting with them over another couple of days to a week, finally the item ships..... come on.

That's why I hate amazon. And every additional incident that I see going on at amazon, it will just add to my hate.

I may sound ignorant right about now, but I can't help it. They have totally ticked my last nerve.

Also, on the email they didn't even say anything about the pricing. They said that it is discontinued. But just a couple of days ago, it said comming soon. So before it even comes out, they discontinue it? Maybe they said it so that they won't have to sell it at that price..... Well, I don't know.

:(

I've ordered from Amazon in the past and I've always received what I ordered--just not in a timely manner.

Well at least somebody got an e-mail telling them about this. My got deleted and I received no notification on the subject.
I understand that they have a right to cancel but I would like to get an e-mail or something.

- Zych

I got the same email too.

I think my biggest problem with price mistakes and disclaimers is that they don't exists in B&M stores. There are several laws that state that you MUST sell to someone at the price that is advertised. If they put the wrong pricetag on the shelf, they're allowed to correct it, AFTER they sell you that price. In CA, it goes even further. If something is held on the wrong shelf, and the tag is obviously misnamed, if you cannot find the tag with the correct SKU, they must give it to you for the price that it was sitting by/on. Even if they know it's wrong. People are required to know their own store. Now I'm not saying every business law is great, and we are certainly overregulated, but this kind of business would NEVER be tolerated in person, and I know Amazon operates at least one thing on American soil. I'm sick of the Internet being a shield for this company. If you can't price things correctly, and hire someone to audi those prices, and change them even after you get some orders, then you deserve to lose the money. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be in business if you're going to make huge mistakes.

I think my biggest problem with price mistakes and disclaimers is that they don't exists in B&M stores. There are several laws that state that you MUST sell to someone at the price that is advertised. If they put the wrong pricetag on the shelf, they're allowed to correct it, AFTER they sell you that price. In CA, it goes even further. If something is held on the wrong shelf, and the tag is obviously misnamed, if you cannot find the tag with the correct SKU, they must give it to you for the price that it was sitting by/on. Even if they know it's wrong. People are required to know their own store. Now I'm not saying every business law is great, and we are certainly overregulated, but this kind of business would NEVER be tolerated in person, and I know Amazon operates at least one thing on American soil. I'm sick of the Internet being a shield for this company. If you can't price things correctly, and hire someone to audi those prices, and change them even after you get some orders, then you deserve to lose the money. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be in business if you're going to make huge mistakes.

"If you can't price things correctly, and hire someone to audi those prices"

I'd like my $217 card please..........;)

But just think about how many more items amazon has that any B&M store. Even the giant walmarts. With all the associates walking around, seeing the prices, they could technically notice the mistake and fix it. Now back to amazon. THey don't have salespeople walking around that see the price and figure it might be wrong. That's why they need a disclaimer like this. It would be impossible for them to check all the prices on a regular basis. They only way they would find out would be if tons of people suddenly ordered the same product. Then they could see that their price was $100 less than it was supposed to be. Then they would change it back and inform the customers that have bought one before it was shipped that their order was canceled.

Imagine you're at bestbuy. You just saw this same card (just for the sake of argument and the pricetag said $217. You ask the guy there if that price is right and he says yeah i guess so. Then you walk with it to the register, and while you're still on your way there, the guy comes running after you saying "no sir, that's the wrong card. the one you have is actually $400something . Then you would choose to either buy it for $400 or put it back. It's kind of the same idea here. You have the card but you didn't take it out of the store yet. Once you take it out of the store I'm sure they can't call you back in and charge you the higher price. But if you're still inside (ie it hasn't shipped yet for amazon) then I see no problem with them charging you the higher price.

I agree that the email is a weak excuse for the actual reason, and I think that amazon should tell all of you who bought one why the order was cancelled, but I do disagree that you should have gotten the card for $217.

Broekage

Originally posted by broekage

Imagine you're at bestbuy. You just saw this same card (just for the sake of argument and the pricetag said $217. You ask the guy there if that price is right and he says yeah i guess so. Then you walk with it to the register, and while you're still on your way there, the guy comes running after you saying "no sir, that's the wrong card. the one you have is actually $400something.
Broekage

That's exaclty my point. They can't do that. It's known as a bait-and-switch technique. If the pricetag is $217, then the price is $217. They can remove that tag as soon as they find out, but they have to give YOU that price.
As for the hundreds of sales associates and products, if a B&M store had to hire, say conservatively two people PER STORE to audit prices, they would have to hire about 600 people for 300 stores, which is average. Amazon, on the other hand, could hire ten people for the ENTIRE company to audit prices, and that would cost way way less. Add that to the significantly lower overhead of a website VS a B&M store, and they're still saving money like mad. Plus, they operate on US soil, why are they so exempt?

Originally posted by broekage
But just think about how many more items amazon has that any B&M store. Even the giant walmarts. With all the associates walking around, seeing the prices, they could technically notice the mistake and fix it. Now back to amazon. THey don't have salespeople walking around that see the price and figure it might be wrong. That's why they need a disclaimer like this. It would be impossible for them to check all the prices on a regular basis. They only way they would find out would be if tons of people suddenly ordered the same product. Then they could see that their price was $100 less than it was supposed to be. Then they would change it back and inform the customers that have bought one before it was shipped that their order was canceled.

Broekage

In a sense it's easier for amazon to keep track of prices and etc because, unlike places like wallmart where things are scattered everywhere - it's in a warehouse in bulks. Which is also linked to their database in real time. So they don't need people walking around the warehouse to look for price errors. All they have to do is sit on their computers and go through them and fix it. They probably have a much simpler, more accurate system that'll track price errors and typos much quicker.

Even at the company I'm employed at has a system as such. It even has a set price range for the items, so that if the selling price is lower - we'll know about it. And our company is waay waay smaller than amazon.com. With their resources, imagine how much advanced their inventory/pricing system will be.

Those associates at wallmart, although they technically have the ability to notice the prices and fix it - don't. They just walk around arranging messes and "helping" customers.

Just because amazon.com is bigger and has more items don't mean they should make that much more mistakes. The larger the corporation you are, the tighter and more accurate your procedures must be.

:D

Back