VirtualBox 3.0 just released

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
http://www.virtualbox.org

With respect to the Windows client, these are some of the notable changes:
* Guest SMP with up to 32 virtual CPUs (VT-x and AMD-V only; see chapter 3.7.2.2 of the user manual)
* Windows guests: ability to use Direct3D 8/9 applications / games (experimental; see chapter 4.8 of the user manual)
* Support for OpenGL 2.0 for Windows, Linux and Solaris guests

Should prove interesting, and I just installed 2.2.4 a day ago... hehe

<posted this in Operating Systems because we field so many questions about virtual machines here, far more than the Virtualization subforum it seems)

http://www.virtualbox.org

With respect to the Windows client, these are some of the notable changes:

Should prove interesting, and I just installed 2.2.4 a day ago... hehe

<posted this in Operating Systems because we field so many questions about virtual machines here, far more than the Virtualization subforum it seems)

Yer I have been using it since the beta. I was wanting to dry the DX stuff (for demigod's) but for some reason stardock's Impulse software eats 100% CPU for just opening its GUI (so I can't install Demigods...)

--EDIT--
ahh the beta had disabled the 3D option... ill try full tonight

I'm not bright enough to understand what's so impressive about running DX9 applications on a Virtual PC, considering your on XP or newer anyways.

I'm not bright enough to understand what's so impressive about running DX9 applications on a Virtual PC, considering your on XP or newer anyways.

because now they have hardware acceleration. Beforehand there was some software 3D drivers (ie dog-slow). but now Vbox has provided a host-driver to take data to the gfx card as well as a guest driver todo 3D stuff

ie in theory you should get native speed

As long as it's fast enough to run my old Age Of Empires II games, I'll be thrilled!

I'm downloading now!
On the topic of Virtualization with GPU acceleration, does anyone know if it would be possible to add something like VT or whatnot to a GPU so that you can get essentially native speed? I could finally jump to linux or OS X for everything and virtualize windows.

I'm downloading now!
On the topic of Virtualization with GPU acceleration, does anyone know if it would be possible to add something like VT or whatnot to a GPU so that you can get essentially native speed? I could finally jump to linux or OS X for everything and virtualize windows.
If it's possible, it's not been easy for nearly any piece of hardware to support multiple native/virtual clients at once. It's not just GPUs, but also disc controllers, USB ports, sounds cards, etc. That makes sense really since it's only a single resource that may need to be configured in multiple different ways depending on the client, especially for hardware that includes firmware or other low level reconfiguration in the driver like network and video cards. Or at the very least need to be shared in very small time slices.

If the host and VM(s) were *fully* aware of each other and fully capable of releasing hardware to the other, that might be more possible (and potentially a lot less stable and slower). Otherwise you're going to be seeing virtualized hardware for a long time.

I just downloaded it and got Linux Mint installed. Really nice, easy, and straightforward. Just one issue though. How do you get better screen resolution options in the guest install OS? I can only get 800x600 resolution, and I have 128MB allocated and 3D support enabled.

had the same thing here when using an ubuntu vm. Should be able to adjust the resolution on the host VM....i kicked mine up to 1920X1200 without issues...

Sick, Virtualbox saves my day with photoshop and linux.
signature_distory.jpg

awesome-sauce! guest SMP support... that was all i needed, i tried VBox 2.x a few weeks back but i kind of disliked the lack of guest SMP, now that it has that.. i will have to give a try soon! (and buy a quad-core :p.. and that 24" screen...)

Back