Virtual PC 2007 - Unsupported OS

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm on Vista 64-bit. The 64-bit of VPC2007 installer says my OS is unsupported where it clearly says Vista x64 is supported. I hope it's not because I'm running SP1...

Those two links are exactly the same one I posted. So I guess I have a bad luck and there is nothing I can do about it. Thanks though.

Just ignore the message and go through with the installation. I just installed Virtual PC 07 on Vista 64 last week and ran into the same issue. I had to double check I had the correct version too since I know it said Vista 64 was supported. Anyway, it works perfectly fine, and I'm using it to run XP for IE6 testing.

I did that, the installing progress bar goes to 99%, then goes backwards and the setup ends because it's interrupted since the OS is not supported. It makes no sense.

I did that, the installing progress bar goes to 99%, then goes backwards and the setup ends because it's interrupted since the OS is not supported. It makes no sense.

Did you google the error and see if there is a known issue?

I had this prob on another machine, I don't recall what I did to fix it.

Another option, try VS2005? Or Hyper-v? You do not need windows 2008 for hyper-v, there is a stand-alone now.

is your host OS activated, and WGA verified? you did click the 64bit setup and not the 32bit button right above it, correct?

Virtual PC only works with Vista BUSINESS and ULTIMATE. It DOES NOT install under Home Basic/Premium. Yes, go Microsoft :rolleyes:

Virtual PC only works with Vista BUSINESS and ULTIMATE. It DOES NOT install under Home Basic/Premium. Yes, go Microsoft :rolleyes:

Aha...good catch. I'll bet he has some flavor of Home then. Very good on that one!

is your host OS activated, and WGA verified? you did click the 64bit setup and not the 32bit button right above it, correct?

Yes. And yes.

Oh christ. I didn't notice that. Reading skills ftl. Guess I'll try Hyper-V.

Did you google the error and see if there is a known issue?

I had this prob on another machine, I don't recall what I did to fix it.

Another option, try VS2005? Or Hyper-v? You do not need windows 2008 for hyper-v, there is a stand-alone now.

Code:
#  Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard R2

# Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2

# Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 (non-Production only)

# Windows XP Professional SP2 (non-Production only)

# Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (non-Production only)

# Windows Vista Ultimate (non-Production only)

# Windows Vista Business (non-Production only)

# Windows Vista Enterprise (non-Production only)

Virtual Server 2005 doesn't support Home Premium either. /sadpanda

And Hyper-V "does not apply to my operating system", according to its installer.

Code:
#  Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard R2

# Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2

# Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 (non-Production only)

# Windows XP Professional SP2 (non-Production only)

# Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (non-Production only)

# Windows Vista Ultimate (non-Production only)

# Windows Vista Business (non-Production only)

# Windows Vista Enterprise (non-Production only)

Virtual Server 2005 doesn't support Home Premium either. /sadpanda

And Hyper-V "does not apply to my operating system", according to its installer.

Shitty. Try VMware? I think you can get VMplayer from them for free.

You can get player for free. You can also get Server for free. Player does not let you create VMs.

Shitty. Try VMware? I think you can get VMplayer from them for free.

Tried that, couldn't even figure out what to do. It was an asshole to me.

You can get player for free. You can also get Server for free. Player does not let you create VMs.

Ugh. I don't even know how to use VMWare, I fail.

I've been tinkering with http://www.virtualbox.org/ at home and it has worked well so far. Not as many features as VM Workstation, but its free so I don't mind. :)

Wow, tried this out, it was more user-friendly for a noob like me, I'm installing XP on it now. Thanks a bunch man!

This has not been my experience. I am running Virtual PC 2007 sp1 on Vista Home Premium x64.

Yes, Virtual PC does tell me that the host OS is not supported, but I have yet to have any issues and my guest virtual PC's are switched between Home Premium host, Ultimate, and Business.

Same for XP Home - Virtual PC says it isn't supported, but it runs fine.

Edited to add: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-6EB8-4A09-A7F7-F6C7A1F000B5&displaylang=en

lol. CC is keeping you from installing MS "crap" ;) You should call them and thank them for forcing you to use a proper virtualization solution

Well Stryker, that stinks that it won't install for you. I did some searching and it seems a few other folks have ran into the same install rollback problem. It may be a Windows installer problem that is manifested with an unsupported install. I dunno. :(

I have looked at VirtualBox and it seems appealing, but from what I read, it doesn't have the "undo disk" feature that both VMWare and Virtual PC have, but for anyone that doesn't need that feature I think it may be a good choice. Good luck.

Well Stryker, that stinks that it won't install for you. I did some searching and it seems a few other folks have ran into the same install rollback problem. It may be a Windows installer problem that is manifested with an unsupported install. I dunno. :(

I have looked at VirtualBox and it seems appealing, but from what I read, it doesn't have the "undo disk" feature that both VMWare and Virtual PC have, but for anyone that doesn't need that feature I think it may be a good choice. Good luck.

I was under the impression that it would work on home versions of Vista, it just wasn't supported. In any case, no, VirtualBox doesn't have undo disks, which is my reason for running Virtual PC, but it has a pretty decent snapshot option, which I prefer over VMware's. As long as you create a snapshot before you use it, going back to it is very easy.

Back