• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Viewsonic VX922 mini review

A

altcon

Guest
Ok, so after returning a Viewsonic VP930 for backlight bleeding issues I exchanged it for a VX922.

<Short Rant>:The stupid but common belief of "it won't happen to me" justs didn't pay off in this case, the issue was noticeable, annoying and finally unaaceptable. I highly recommend reading user reviews of this LCD at newegg - they don't lie (the good and the bad)<SHort Rant>

ON with it...
The VX922 came in a colored box with many catchy little advertising phrases and things to catch your eye. The Box contained :
LCD Monitor -Fully assembled (again)
VGA Cable
DVI Cable
Power Cable
Very Short (and useless) manual with driver CD

Setup again was a sinch, plug and play.
The finish looks very nice but the surrounding silver platic reminds of the finish of cheap NU models...
The stand is much smaller then the VP930's and it practically cleared my desk!
Nice to note no dead/stuck pixels...
The Default settings were Brightness - 100%, Contrast 100% and color temkp 65000.

Since an annoying thing about this LCD is the Brightness/Contrast Sliders have no percentage marks - you just eyeball them, I roughly set the monitor at 50 Contrast and 40 Brightness.
The Monitor was still overly bright, so I adjusted Gamma with Nvidia's built in driver tool.
Brightness and color seemd very nice after that.
This Monitor is a 6bit panel as opposed to the VP930 which is an 8bit one. having seen them both on the same day, I can say that THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and it is noticeable, but not in a big way. If you really strain you can see the colors on the VP930 scale just a little better -this is ONLY apparent while using desktop in 2D, in Photos, movies and Games I could not tell the difference.

Anyway a little but of usage...
Surfing ,reading , editing Docs and coding felt great on this LCD, it is sharp and very fun to read on. In a strange way the TN panel feels "nicer" (I'm not really sure of another way to put it) on my eyes and less annoying then the VP930. In the VP930 it felt a if I cild see a grid or protective mesh.

Movies:
Again I fired up Lord of the Rings Return of the King, and it was very fun to watch, movement was very smooth and it was quite enjoyable. Compression artifacts are noticeable if you use AVI format, I didn't test that on the VP930 so Ican't say if its a moitor thing.

Gaming:
PURE BLISS, thats right, PURE I say, no ghosting whatsoever. I played CSS De_Dust2, Aim_Aig_Texture and De_Dust for 3 hours and could not tell the performmance apqart from my previous CRT. Except for one thing - the colors FELT better and detail shone through. After using the VP930 which had some noticeable ghosting mainloy in CSS, I was shocked to find that no ghosting was even possible with an LCD.
I went on to two hours of wonderfull Oblivion, topped by 20 minutes of NFS Most Wanted.
All games felt LIKE THEY DID ON MY CRT!!!!!! :cool:
I'm extremly happy with this LCD for gaming, and would recommend it to ANY GAMER, even the hardcore nitpicking gotta have it all ones.
One note, I played at NAtive res (1280*1024) at all times, so I cant say much for interpolation at lower resolutions....

All in All I'm very happy with this LCD, the 6bit panel and lack of height and swivel/pivot adjustment are not missed, since I don't do photo work. I would gladly recommend it to anyone who wants a quality LCD!
I also checked user reviews on Newegg for this LCD and found no complaints that seemed repoetetive, meaninf no BIG FUCK UP like the one known on the VP930.
I will obviously keep using this LCD and post back if any problems arise.

I will also post pics later...
 
Nice review. I too have this same LCD and I even use it to play q3 and q4 on the competative level. Yeah that's right, I compete with this monitor. I'm not sure why some people don't recommend this more often. It really does have nice colors.
 
That’s it. I think I’m going to order a 922 from newegg today. A lot of people have a lot nice things to say about gaming on this monitor.

A while go I finally replaced my old, old, old 21 inch half dead CRT monitor with a new 1905FP. While I love the crisp graphics and sharp text and vibrant colors gaming is just not the same. Gaming on the old CRT was ‘smooth like buttah’. Despite that, I’m still not going back to CRT.

But the 922 is a 6 bit? Less color accurate, etc? My solution will be to keep the 1905 as a second display, and pop a window over to the right if I need a better look at something.
 
Tom's Hardware has a review of this monitor. It sets the new standard for the fastest LCD around. The graph looks very good; it does not exceed 10ms at any point.

Do you have to look at the screen dead on to get decent colors?
 
Could one of you tell me if it handles 800x600 okay? There have been some people say it was just fine, and others saying the interpolation was horrid. I don't really feel like playing cs/q3/q4 at anything above 800x600. Thanks in advance.
 
Yeah IMO viewing angles are not that good. I'm not sure how it is compared to other LCD's. I did however try a Viewera 8ms monitor as my first lcd but that didn't get the job done on the competative level, and the view agles weren't much better.

And the question about 800x600, I did run into that once when I updated q4Max. It automatically reset my res to 800x600 and I didn't even notice until the monitor said "your application is not set at 1280x1024". So for q4 it's fine at that res. I didn't try q3 at that resolution, but I can and I'll let you know the results. I've never played cs, so I can't compliment on that.

Yes the monitor is 6bit. The only time I notice this being a problem is when watching dvd's there is some noticable static, or white noise going on in the far, less focused backgrounds. Hope this helps.
 
how do you think that VX924 compares to this, because the VX922 is a little too expensive for me.
 
gotfrag? said:
how do you think that VX924 compares to this, because the VX922 is a little too expensive for me.

You can get the vx922 for $40more over the vx924 I think its worth the extra money if your into gaming. The latency is superb on that monitor.
 
~GoaT~ said:
Could one of you tell me if it handles 800x600 okay? There have been some people say it was just fine, and others saying the interpolation was horrid. I don't really feel like playing cs/q3/q4 at anything above 800x600. Thanks in advance.
Well I didn't have much time, so I doomed a little real quick at 800*600 with 8AA, and heres a pic :

vx9220449nr.jpg

All in all it looks FINE.
I'll have to test some brighter games, later tonight I will post more pics of everything...
 
Heres more images, all at native res...
My digi cam and lighting make everything a bit dark...
vx9220548vu.jpg

vx9220601rm.jpg

vx9220696ux.jpg

and lastly for now, here's a scene from a movie, who can indentify which movie?
vx9220505ij.jpg
 
bought one

All I can say crt > lcd if your eyes are good enough to notice the difference.

Really irritates me that all the good crt makers stopped producing crts at the 19" size. All I really wanted was a new 19" samsung crt to replace my old 19" samsung crt.

Of course if you don't play games at a top level or your eyes are lacking in the motion detection department then there's nothing wrong with an lcd.
 
EDIT:(removed dumbass flaming remarks by me and substituted releavant content....:rolleyes: )
I think your rig might not be up to PAR to play at native res -time to upgrade!
LCD's are best at native RES - I upgraded from a 6800GT to a 7800GT b4 the switch since I knew the native res limitation. You NEED at least a 7800GT to enjoy this LCD while gaming - a 12 pipe 6800 will not keep up!
BTW in which game do you think you're seeing ghosting?
 
Seeing as the games i play are cs/dod (not source) 6800 is good enough for my needs. The ghosting is only slight, and only noticable because I have a higher mouse sensitivity than most people. However, I did manage to minimise how much I notice it by having a tweak with the settings and making it fixed aspect ratio.

You won't be able to convince me that LCD is better than crt for my needs, but I'm sure we can both be in agreement that SED if cheap enough to make should be very attractive. Just a shame it was pushed back a year.
 
I play CSS and its the main game I evaluate ghoting by since its the fastest paced of the bunch, I use an MX510 set to high sensitiivty, and even when I fool around I don't see any traces or blurrs...
Oh well to each his own, I am much happier with this then my previous Ttinitron tube.
 
Back
Top