Video players that use nVidia Hardware Acceleration - ?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title says, which players use hardware acceleration... I'm mainly interested in those that work with nVidia cards, "PureVideo" and PureVideoHD".

Does nVidia got their own player maybe?

what are you trying to decode? for bluray/hd dvd then power dvd and windvd both do hardware acceleration, im unsure of any free players though.

if you are talking about .mkv HD files, then you have a few options. but i personally use media player classic home cinema edition and it works great, just use the settings they give you.

even WMV HD can be hardware decoded i believe through windows media player, though ive never bothered with it.

I need a player that would use my Video card. Mainly AVI files but decoded trough Hardware Acceleration instead of software.

I got this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html ,but i can not force WMP to detect a video plugin, there are no option in the WMP settings to "Add" the plug in... (I'm running Vista x64 Ult. with latest WMP) This thing is like a Windows Media Center... which is crap imo... i just want a player that would use hardware acceleration.. not this crap. I do beleive there is a Plug In in the package... just need the player that would accept it.

I think in old WMP there was an option to Add a plug in... cuz i remember from XP times adding one from ATI codecs, and basiacaly WMP would utilize ATI card...

Gerr...

Next time you post pls post the details.:mad: or dont post at all.
Got VLC for some time now... and there are no nVidia options or Plug Ins that would correspond to PureVideo/HD

Again... i'm looking for something that would utilize specifically nV plugins and or PureVideo. NOT DirectX or OpenGL like VLC has...

Next time you post pls post the details.:mad: or dont post at all.
Got VLC for some time now... and there are no nVidia options or Plug Ins that would correspond to PureVideo/HD

Again... i'm looking for something that would utilize specifically nV plugins and or PureVideo. NOT DirectX or OpenGL like VLC has...

I understand you want to be spoon fed answer, but please show some appreciation for the free help you get, or don't post at all...

purevideo is designed to hardware accelerate H.264/x264, WMV/VC-1 and MPEG-4 HD video.....in otherwords, only Hi-Def video. it wont hardware decode divx or xvid files.

power dvd, windvd, MPC home cinema and VLC all use DXVA(directx video acceleration) to utilize the video cards hardware decoding(whether nvidia purevideo or ati avivo). there is no direct "purevideo plugin". they all use their own codecs to utilize DXVA. purevideo and avivo are just names for the technology.

You wont be able to pick and choose what gets accelerated and what doesnt.
It depends on the codec used and even then it can still be incompatible.

AVI's cannot be accelerated, AVI is a container.
The codec used within the AVI might be accelerated if supported.

If your CPU is faster than a C2D 2GHz, you should be able to play practically everything without GPU acceleration anyway.
GPU video acceleration of a codec gives you nothing extra if you already have a decent CPU.

purevideo is designed to hardware accelerate H.264/x264, WMV/VC-1 and MPEG-4 HD video.....in otherwords, only Hi-Def video. it wont hardware decode divx or xvid files.

Going to nitpick here, don't hate me for it.
x264 is an encoder. H.264 is a standard. x264 encodes H.264 files. H.264 is synonymous with MPEG-4/AVC. So you basically mentioned the same thing. And do note that there are different variants of MPEG-4, such as MPEG-4 SP.

If you're looking to get hardware acceleration for H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2, give MPC-HC a shot. It's capabilities depend on your video card, so if you want to check what your video card offers, download DXVAChecker and see.

GTFO, you can't really be suggesting that he uses that crap.

Anyways, the Purevideo codec you linked too is no longer supported in Vista; it just won't work.

As to answer your question, pretty much any player will work as long as it supports external codecs. If you want hardware acceleration for H264 content then the newest CoreAVC will do it using CUDA (and a very recent NV GPU) as well as WinDVD (which sucks), PowerDVD (which sucks a little less) or Total Media Theater.

The point is, any video player that will support external codecs (which WMP doesn't really) will work. VLC doesn't. "Purevideo" or "Purevideo HD" is simply a marketing term for DXVA and EVR.

I highly suggest getting Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

The worst part of this is that most of this info was listed in the first couple of responses.

I updated the sticky today with the latest hardware acceleration guides... always check the sticky first.

VLC was good in... 2001/2002... then came along everything else that kicked it's ass.

Thanks all for your help, at least some... people know what they are talking about... so basicaly closest thing that my 280 GTX would like is the CoreAVC with a CUDA support, correct?

Thanks all for your help, at least some... people know what they are talking about... so basicaly closest thing that my 280 GTX would like is the CoreAVC with a CUDA support, correct?

Cheapest option. Media Player Classic HC (free) will also support it. Honestly, I'm not sure how complete support would be. Most of this is pretty standard stuff, like using EVR, which makes opensource support very possible but some of the "best" options, like advanced deinterlacing kind of things, might only be possible when signing up with NV as a dev. I just don't know those kinds of things. All I know is I bought a copy of CoreAVC back in the day and totally hated it but the newest version with Cuda support sounds awesome (going to try it out on my 8200 series mobo).

Try MPC HC and if it doesn't work try CoreAVC.

Not necessarily. Instead of buying CoreAVC just to get CUDA doing the decoding (which doesn't work with interlaced content), use MPC-HC and its internal decoders. It offers DXVA as long as your card supports it, and yours does. Downside of the CUDA-enabled version of CoreAVC is that its limited to NVidia cards and can't do interlaced content and likes to break on some content. Downside of DXVA is that it only works if your video card supports it (which if your video card supports DXVA it supports CUDA, but not necessarily the other way around) and the content you are playing allows for DXVA too (refs+resolution are the main factor for H.264).

Heck, your Q6600 will totally obliterate all content even in software mode, so unless you really need hardware acceleration for a specific reason, just do software decoding... with multi-threaded support, that is. :p

CrimandEvil said:
The point is, any video player that will support external codecs (which WMP doesn't really)
Sure it does. It works with any DirectShow filters.

Wait. You're double posting this???

Yes I am... i have to present this info to a customer tomorrow/today... needed this information asap. So i posted this in two sections. I hope it's not a big deal, but it looks like the Video Cards thread was a miss, and this one was not.

Thanks every one again for your replies!

Back