very VERY weird and LOTS of problems in a simple upgrade

wayne

2[H]4U
ok, i solved the problem with the missing ram.... apparently it must have been some dust, like i suspected, so i removed the chips and vacuumed the slots and wiped it clean with a cotton swab and now it sees the RAM

i also found a PIII CPU in a broken mobo on top of my shelf...533Mhz, or sumthin like that,..so i installed it, and that solves my CPU upgrade problem

the heatsink thing, i just didnt apply any thermal paste on the old CPU and it worked...maybe it was to much, but does too much thermal paste stop the computer from booting, like it overheats immediately?????

i will apply thermal paste to the new CPU but i still wanna kno if the quesiton above is true

no, i didnt use artic silver...some generic crap

Originally posted by wayne

the heatsink thing, i just didnt apply any thermal paste on the old CPU and it worked...maybe it was to much, but does too much thermal paste stop the computer from booting, like it overheats immediately?????

i will apply thermal paste to the new CPU but i still wanna kno if the quesiton above is true

no, i didnt use artic silver...some generic crap

Yes, too much thermal goop can keep the PC from booting. I had an old athlon 900 I got from my brother that wouldn't work anymore. I thought it was fried or broken.

Noticed there was a lot of thermal goop on it, spilling over the sides of the cpu die and such.

cleaned it all off, and then used a *little* bit of thermal paste when I re-installed it, and it worked again. :)

Back