Very poor range

Skud

Gawd
Hi All,

I've tried two different routers both with the same results:

1) WRT54GL DD-WRT v24RC3
2) WRT54G V4 DD-WRT v24RC3

I am trying to get signal to my garage space ~150 - 200 feet away and ~30 feet below. Looking out the window of the room the router is in the garage space is a clear shot. The router is up against the outside wall.

So, it goes: Router --> wall (10" or so) --> ~175ft open space --> garage

I've purchased an SMC 11db panel antenna hoping it would increase the range, but it didn't do anything. The radio power on the router is set to 28mW within DD-WRT. I have tried two different laptops. One with an external SMC PCCard and one with a built-in Intel 3945ABG.

Inside the apartment signal is good and everything works. At the garage space, I get very very poor signal and it's more or less unusable..

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
Riley

Try changing the wireless channel.

Ooo.. Thanks, but I forgot to mention I'm on channel 1 and I'm the only one using channel 1 within range..

I actually set DD-WRT to auto pick the channel and it picked 1 as it was least utilized.. I guess "auto" works.. :)

Good catch..

Riley

This thread is something I was about to make for myself.

Right now I'm using a Netgear WGR614 as my router with its companion piece USB adapter for a computer that's two floors down from where the router is.

The performance on that computer two floors away leaves a lot to be desired.

Suggestions?

This thread is something I was about to make for myself.

Right now I'm using a Netgear WGR614 as my router with its companion piece USB adapter for a computer that's two floors down from where the router is.

The performance on that computer two floors away leaves a lot to be desired.

Suggestions?

Those USB adapters offer poor performance, esp at a distance. Try PCI. I am using a WRT 54G with a D-Link PCI card 3 floors up and its fine.

[ T ] A C O;1031533102 said:
Those USB adapters offer poor performance, esp at a distance. Try PCI. I am using a WRT 54G with a D-Link PCI card 3 floors up and its fine.

Interesting. I wonder why there would be such an appreciable difference?

At this rate, I'm halfway wondering if I should just save up and go to wireless N and do it right vs. throwing anymore money at over a 3 year old setup as is. I'd certainly go for the PCI adapter next time around, regardless of anything else.

Decisions, decisions... ;)

Back